Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Narrowest and tallest tires fit on '03 GT Sedan wheels?

My Mother does not drive her '03 GT legacy sedan very hard at ALL. She does however get it hung-up in snow and high lips on our rural road. What is the thinest/narrowest tires I can put on stock '03 GT wheels? Would 195/60R16's work in place of the 205/55R16's??:confused:

For the difference in circumference its not so much

205/55/16 = 78.2 inch (811 rev per mile)

195/60/16 = 79.2 inch (800 rev per mile)

this is a 1.3% difference which can be tolerated

Better would be to take 185/60/16 because they are little smaller (77.7 inch) so they will definitly fit.

Or you can play yourself at

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

But they both will fit (195 and the 185) actually winter is comming so smaller tire is more weight per ground area = more grip on slippery surface.

Or you can play yourself at

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

But they both will fit (195 and the 185) actually winter is comming so smaller tire is more weight per ground area = more grip on slippery surface.

"weight per ground area" is entirely dependent on inflation pressure and has nothing to do with the width. The width of the tire determines the shape of the contact patch, not the size.

IMO a 195 or 185 is too narrow for the weight of that car, and you should stick with a 205 section.

I don't think you can go much taller before you run into rubbing on the spring perches or fenders. A 205/60-16 would probably work, and snow/mud/offroad oriented tires would also help along with not driving into "high lips."

Or she could trade for an outback.

I don't see how weight affects width?? I had a 3 ton truck that had 185/75R15's they were three ply side wall but that was the size. More on tire construction not size.

Does anyone know how wide the stock rims are on the '03 GT's. :confused:

"weight per ground area" is entirely dependent on inflation pressure and has nothing to do with the width. The width of the tire determines the shape of the contact patch, not the size.

How could choosing a narrower tire not make a narrower contact patch?

There are a few things that determine the patch shape. Tire tread width, stiffness, tire pressure, and the weight of the vehicle.

Your stock wheels are probably 7" wide.

Going narrower on the tire is your best bet. If you want to go narrower and higher I would suggest:

195/65R16 or 185/70R16

These would raise your car approximately 3/4" and may be just enough for the snow and lips. It shouldn't be an issue with rubbing anywhere.

The stock 195's on my Impreza do great in 11" of snow. 185's would be even better.

How could choosing a narrower tire not make a narrower contact patch?

It is narrower. It's not smaller though if both tires are inflated to the same pressure.

If you take two of the same tire, a narrower tire will have a lower load rating usually. Plus with a taller section and narrower tread the tires are going to flex a lot more and it's not going to feel very good while driving.

It is narrower. It's not smaller though if both tires are inflated to the same pressure.

:confused: You lost me there ^^^

Just check the load rating of whatever tire you get. If the tire is thinner than the wheel, then the sidewalls will stretch out to meet the wheel. German car tuners do this all the time to quite silly extents. I would not worry about it. Get a nice 185/195 tire that's a little taller like the others have mentioned.

She does however get it hung-up in snow and high lips on our rural road.

This is not a direct answer to your question but may help:

1: Get a set of snow tires in the same size

2: Getting stuck on "high lips" sounds like another way of saying "high-centered". Then you need to buy an Outback or somehow increase the ground clearance on the GT...don't know how you'd do that. Maybe outback struts, springs and shocks in a swap may be the answer.

:confused: You lost me there ^^^

Say you have a 185 section tire inflated to 30psi and a 225 section tire inflated to 30psi. If the weight on each tire is the same, the 185 will have a narrower and longer contact patch but the actual area in contact with the road will be the same.

The 2.5GT wheel is 6.5" wide. If you go to tirerack, you can view the details of a tire and the recommended rim width. For example, here's the sheet for my tires. I have 16x7" wheels, and 225/50-16s. You can see that the recommended rim width for them is 6-8" with 7" being preferred. You can also see that it has a slightly higher load rating than the narrower 205/55-16, which has the same diameter.

Sounds Uber UN-German thing to do!! There engineer neighbors must hate the tuners taht do that!!:lol:

The German tuner community, especially the VW/Audi lovers, love to do things purely for looks regardless of the consequences. If you can fit a finger between your tire and the fender your car "looks like a 4x4".

This is not a direct answer to your question but may help:

1: Get a set of snow tires in the same size

2: Getting stuck on "high lips" sounds like another way of saying "high-centered". Then you need to buy an Outback or somehow increase the ground clearance on the GT...don't know how you'd do that. Maybe outback struts, springs and shocks in a swap may be t snows he answer.

She does NOT want to swap back and forth between snows and all-seasons, I have tried. She does not like the noise and no one is around to load and un-load them from the car. I had a set of 205/55R16 Nokia's for it and she did not like the road noise.

Suspension mods are not in the cards, just looking for a cheap fix.

Going a size narrower isn't going to make much of a difference, especially if the tire is some generic all season. The best solution would be a taller car or dedicated snow tires, and there's not really a magical all season that's going to solve all your problems.

I guess you could try a 205/60-16 in a very good all season. Browse tirerack for something that gets good ratings on snow and ice.

Additionally, tires that grip better on slippery and loose surfaces have bigger and deeper tread blocks and will make more noise.

Going a size narrower isn't going to make much of a difference, especially if the tire is some generic all season. The best solution would be a taller car or dedicated snow tires, and there's not really a magical all season that's going to solve all your problems.

I guess you could try a 205/60-16 in a very good all season. Browse tirerack for something that gets good ratings on snow and ice.

Additionally, tires that grip better on slippery and loose surfaces have bigger and deeper tread blocks and will make more noise.

So I guess the board is not as hot on the WR's any longer the reported TRUE ALL-season tire? I tried a all-season rated well in loose stuff, the BFG Traction T/A and they wore out in 10,000 miles!!:mad:

What do the modded VW's always have the tires too small for the rims? Is there a plus to doing this. Must be hard to keep the wheel lips from geting banged up!!!:lol:

You must be talking about the watercooled ones. We aircooled guys like our tires tall and skinny! :cool:

- Scott

You must be talking about the watercooled ones. We aircooled guys like our tires tall and skinny! :cool:

- Scott

Well you air cooled guys have it right, bugs were awsome in the snow. And the Kubel's and Schwimmerwagen's were the first 4wd cars!!:banana: I had a '87 Syncro Vanagon with rear air LOCKER from the factory it would climb up a house!! Sorry (wasserboxer)!:lol:

Well you air cooled guys have it right, bugs were awsome in the snow. And the Kubel's and Schwimmerwagen's were the first 4wd cars!!:banana: I had a '87 Syncro Vanagon with rear air LOCKER from the factory it would climb up a house!! Sorry (wasserboxer)!:lol:

Syncros are great. I want an old Pinzgauer, too, but that's enough blasphemy from this new member. ;)

- Scott

Nokian makes an all season tire that's better than a lot of dedicated snows.

OK, cool just checking? I guess the onlt issue with the WR's is the price tag. Anyone have them on there Soob? What kind miles you geting out of these $150+ a PEICE tires??:confused: