Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Easiest, quickest way to repack front bearings?

Well, looks like the loyale is gonna have new bearings on both sides in the rear:banana: But maybe I should at least repack the fronts. I got a little extra grease in there when I replaced the axles, but I would like to do them properly (or at least more better;) ) What would be my best easiest fastest option for getting some new grease in there? Maybe I'll pop the ball joint, pull the axles and inject grease w/ a needle- just like last time. I don't think I want to remove the bearings or seals right now. What do you all think?

Thats what Id do.

Your logic brings back a memory.

I used a grease needle for the ball joints on several ford explorer or ranger 2wd (without I-beams) I would UCI. I dont think I ever saw one that wasnt noisy be it 30k or 150k miles, that stoped it all the times I did it. An old timer caught me doing it once and said it causes premature boot failure, but if you didnt do it, it would just come back after it was sold. Altho his logic was good because when it did come back you might flag some control arms or knuckles.

-Sam

well, you can stuff a little extra grease in there with the bearings still in the knuckles. but that probably won't help much.

you really should remove and clean the bearings. new seals aren't too expensive. even from the dealer (you need 4.....and they're only $2-3 each). SOA part numbers are 906250018 for the inner one, and 906250015 for the outer.

Just speaking as the fella who's going to be driving around on those bearings, I'd really like to see them removed, and replaced with an entire 2008 WRX STI. :headbang: In blue over black, please. :headbang:

Lacking that, whatever you'd feel comfortable driving around on, I'll trust you with. :cool:

Oh hey, whats up?

Yeah, I'm still not sure about the fronts. Like I had mentioned, I wiped out what I could and added some new grease when I put in new front axles about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I may not open them up at all right now. We'll see what time I have. But as for the rear, I have new bearings for both sides. McBrat is sending me one, and I went to NAPA and bought the other and new seals for both sides. So it should be good in the back. When's the boat dockin'?

Easiest, quickest way to repack front bearings?

Take out the axles, remove the bearings, clean them, inspect them (any sign of rust throw them out) re-pack and re-install with new seals.

Unlike the backs, the front bearings are cheap, last 4 I bought were like $6 each, almost disposable.

I might add:

The only time I have axle bearing failure is when there is about 4 feet of snow in "God's garage". At $6 each they are a regular maintenance item.

They are a "standard" bearing, meaning: once you have the number off of the bearing ANY place that sells bearings can hook you up.

I have seen a "low" of $3 for Chinese bearings, and a "high" of $30 for Swedish bearings, I went with a middle of $6.

I buy the double sealed, pop one seal off, make sure it's greased, then mount with the seals pointing outwards, leaving the bearing able to get extra grease from the center (where the spacer is) that I pack before putting the axle back in. The seals pointing outwards give it another chance at keeping the water/crud out, or at least that's what I figure.