Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Squeaky brakes.......Looking for a solution

I've had my '01OB 2.5 for about 10,000 miles and it has 83K on the odometer.

Ever since I got it it squeals like a bastard :mad: while braking lightly in reverse and sometimes going forward. Noise is coming from the front brakes. I haven't been able (or spent the time) to determine if it's specific to one side only.

The previous owner didn't give me a receipt a brake job but it must have been recent since there is a lot of meat on the pads. The pads have the red stickum on the back and I even cleaned them and reapplied.

Is there a solution? Do they all do this? My friends '98 (I think) has some seriously squeaky brakes as well.

Recommendations please......:banghead:

Brake grease :P

There are a couple of things that you can do here. Some brake pads just squeel more then others. If the rotor surface is good, and you've checked the back of the pads, and look for dirt, it may pay just to go to a differnt brand of pads.

I have a set of ceramic pads from Autzone, that have incredible braking power, but at low speed sounds lik an electric motor whine. In the spring I may change them if it doesnt go away. the only time i notice it is in parking garages, or on a Manhatten street.

nipper

Hi. It is possible it is an issue of lubrication. If I were having this problem, I would get the front wheels off the ground, remove the wheels, and inspect and probably remove the pads. Clean the ALL mating surfaces where anything touches anything else, make sure the pads are not too loose in the clips and caliper mounts, and recoat everything with antisqueal grease, or I have been using Neo HP800 wheel bearing grease all summer and my breaks are dead silent...no squealing at all even when creeping forward slowly. Even if you had the brakes serviced recently, an inferior lube may have been used, or the pads may be too loose in the clips and caliper mount, etc.

Anti-squeal GREASE?

The stuff I have used is made by CRC (I think) and it's in a spray can. You spray a red sticky stuff on the back of the pad, let it set up for a couple of minutes and then assemble.

I did see that Loctite has a disk brake quiet which comes in a lipstick type thing. Maybe cleaning and trying that will be a solution?

Where are you applying grease? The back of the pads? Don't you worry about the grease getting hot, melting, and getting on the rotor/pads? Or is it some very high temp grease?

Thanks.

No one here uses anti squeek before installing new pads??? :eek: Its this rubber liquid i pour on the back of the pad wait a minute then install never ever hear my brakes squeel at all. Also now started lubing and cleaning my sliders. Using ATE ceramic pads and plain brembo rotors front and rear.

Awhile back, I replaced my 'then' worn-out brakes with some "Silver" class brakes and they would always squeak no matter what I did. I finally got fed up with them and replaced them with some "Gold" class from Bendix and the squeak stopped. No noise has been heard since. Low quality (cheap) brakes have the tendency to squeak. If yours squeak, it could be a sign that they are cheap brakes.

Every Subaru I have ever owned, young or old, has had "morning sickness". .. a.k.a. squeaky brakes... when the car sits overnight. They stop squeaking after 3-4 good downhill stops, mild stops take a little longer. In very humid weather... lots more stops or never... til the air dries out a bit... this is even true of my '05 Baja? I do hate ABS brakes with a passion.