Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats the difference in between EA71 & EA81 Clutch & flywheels?

Only one way to find out really.

To my knowledge though, I think the EA71 uses the 7 7/8" clutch and flywheel. Early EA81s use the same clutch and flywheel, and later EA81s use a larger clutch and flywheel.

Take this info with a grain of salt I could be wrong (in fact, I might very well be)

As far as I know all front wheel drivers share the 200 mm 21 spline clutch disc and associated pressure plate, except for fwd turbo models..In barbados even fwd legacys had this disc but different pressure plate, only the 4wd later MY ea81s got the bigger 225mm clutch, flywheel and pressure plate, but still had 21 plines..

ea71 has a different flywheel/crankshaft bolt pattern and crankshaft hub centering..

It has been mentioned on here (GD I think?) that a fwd ea81 or fwd non turbo ea82 car that needs a stronger clutch could borrow a 4wd ea82 or xt6 flywheel and pressure plate then use the ea81 late model 225mm 4wd 21 spline clutch disc and a nissan 720 hardbody pickup throw out bearing on the stock assemby and have a much stronger clutch..I have not done this myself however,

HTH,

Kaz

Flywheel bolt pattern is different, and the problem you run into is that there was never a 225mm flywheel made for the EA71..... so any combo's used would either have to redrill an EA81 flywheel to match, or use 200mm clutch parts.

The "fat-case" (hydro lifter, side starter) EA71 I believe does have the same bolt pattern as the EA81 so if you happen to have one of those (rare) you should be able to use any EA81/EA82 flywheel and clutch combination. To use the EA82 pressure plate with an EA81 trans you need the Nissan truck release bearing (so I'm told).

GD

• 5 years later...