Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Prepping the EA81T for a road trip

I'm taking the 84 EA81T Wagon from Denver to Bozeman, MT on the 19th, and coming back on the 21st.

What advice do you guys have to prep my car for the trip? She's been running great since the new clutch and since I fixed the wiring to the MAF.

Only problem I foresee is she needs a new axle on the front pretty bad. But that's what the 4WD is for, right? :lol:

I would check your fuel filters if you haven't allready done so if they are new. Then I would check the condition of your plug wires and plugs. I know you have done quite a bit of work on your car so you probly don't need to do some of the obvious. Check your belts for small cracks. Check rear diff fluid and trans fluid. Check fuel lines and hoses underneath for obvious stuff,cracked lines ect. Not too much else I don't think. Bring extra fuseable links with you and maybe some regular metric wrenches/sockets.

for some reason, I HATE going ANYWHERE without a bunch of small spare parts.. Fuel pump is one major one, along with spare old belts, dist cap and rotor, pressure regulator and MAF sensor, lugnuts :eek: (because i have them.) Any parts like that that you can brainstorm, and have spares of, bring em. Basic toolkit is great, too.

Eyeball the job and make sure you have the tools needed to set it up in RWD in case the axle goes kerplunk.

Good luck.

Make sure [...] the driver has plenty of snacks.

I think you've got it covered right there. 10 hours driving the car will be more comfortable with snacks :grin:

Yeah, I've got some basic tools I'm bringing, but not really any spare parts. Not much can happen in 10 hours, just a little bit worrisome as we will be traveling through some not so populated areas.