Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Broken parking brake lever release button

Well I found a solution to my problem: broken parking brake lever release button.

The guy at the scrap yard (only one at a reasonable driving distance) insisted that I buy the complete lever assembly at 50$ :eek: .

So I took a black plastic cupboard door knob (mushroom style), opened up the mounting hole to 5/16 and cut some NF32 10 threads. With a small washer between handle and spring, it screwed in perfectly, works and is not that bad looking.

In case it could be of help to someone having the same problem.

96 Brighton.

• Like 1

Way to go, frag! I love it!

Plus the junkyard guy gets to keep his $50 brake lever!

Thanks! I love repairs that dont cost a thing. The door knob was collecting dust in one of my misc parts bin and I already had the tap.

The yard guy was stupid cause I would gladly have given him a 5$ for the button and how often does one need a used complete parking brake rump roast.?

• 8 years later...

Like your no dollar fix! I don't understand how the button can come off in the first place. Mine doesn't look broken and I can't find any other pieces of it lying about. I wouldn't think that they can just un-screw themselves.