Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Overfilled Trasmission Fluid...

if it's overfilled too much the internals will slosh in the fluid and cavitate the fluid, putting air in it. Also likes to blow seals, I'm not sure if a quart over will do it but be careful. Does yours have the spin-on tranny filter? you might be able to just spin it off, dump the fluid out of it, put it back on, run the car, repeat until it's to the proper level.

Also, the marks on the dipstick are one PINT, not a quart like it is on the engine, so you might only be a pint over. Are you checking the fluid with the car idling in park? (If not it'll look overfilled)

if it's overfilled too much the internals will slosh in the fluid and cavitate the fluid, putting air in it. Also likes to blow seals, I'm not sure if a quart over will do it but be careful. Does yours have the spin-on tranny filter? you might be able to just spin it off, dump the fluid out of it, put it back on, run the car, repeat until it's to the proper level.

Also, the marks on the dipstick are one PINT, not a quart like it is on the engine, so you might only be a pint over. Are you checking the fluid with the car idling in park? (If not it'll look overfilled)

Yes, it does have the spin-on filter and yes i checked the level with the engine hot and in park. The small leak I had before has gotten worse, I guess I better get some of that fluid out of there.

Thanks for the info,

Tim

Found that the best way to measure on automatic is with warmed up (15 km drive).

1. Remove dipstick and whipe it off (and take it in the car or just dont lose it, but dont put it back).
  2. Go in car and go through all gears and in D and R let the car actually move a meter or 2.
  3. Put it in park and get out. Leave engine running.
  4. Get dipstick and cool it down in windscreen washer container for a minute or so, whipe it.
  5. Stick it back in the tube and pull out, And read out.

If there is too much take a big 50 or 100 ml syringe with a teflon tube which fits in the dipstick tube. Let it cool down and insert the teflon tube and remove the oil with the syringe.

Success

• 1 year later...

Did I damage my transmission by putting in about 1-gallon too much fluid and driving a couple hundred miles?

I drained fluid by removing pan plug then put full fluid amount specified in Chilton manual (10 quarts!) following process described which said nothing about only getting partial drainage of fluid.

I checked my fluid after filling and it was high but I am not too experienced and thought it was OK because I put the amount specified. Two week later I found a small amount of fluid leaking around passenger side upper transmission case. I removed about 4 qts of fluid to get the dip stick to read correctly.

Will this overfilling have damaged my transmission? Should I look out for any signs of trouble now? I drove around a bit and the leakage seems to have stopped.

I understand the correct procedure now, just hoping for advice on what to expect as far ans any permanent damage.

Thanks,

PT

<<I drained fluid by removing pan plug then put full fluid amount specified in Chilton manual (10 quarts!) following process described which said nothing about only getting partial drainage of fluid.

I checked my fluid after filling and it was high but I am not too experienced and thought it was OK because I put the amount specified. Two week later I found a small amount of fluid leaking around passenger side upper transmission case. I removed about 4 qts of fluid to get the dip stick to read correctly.>>

:eek:

the whole transmisson holds 10 quarts. did you really have 10 quarts in the pan you drained into? by using the plug, only about 3 quarts come out.

I did not check how much drained out, now I know better for next time!

I drained about 4 qts after I noticed the leak so it looks like I had 4 extra quarts in there for a little while. I guess I did drain about 3-4 qts originally.

Seems to go OK for now, leak stopped, but I worry about any permanent damage or future problems to be expected from this.

PT