Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which to buy OBW or Forester?

I have been looking at upgrading to a newer Subie. Looked at several OBW and Foresters built in the early 2000s. What's the differences between the vehicles? Is a Forester just a taller OBW? Is the OEM equipment the same on each vehicle? Is cost about the same per year of manufacturer? Does one keep more resale value? Interior space seems about the same, except that the Forester offers more vertical space, or maybe that is an optical illusion. Any thoughts and advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have been looking at upgrading to a newer Subie. Looked at several OBW and Foresters built in the early 2000s. What's the differences between the vehicles? Is a Forester just a taller OBW? Is the OEM equipment the same on each vehicle? Is cost about the same per year of manufacturer? Does one keep more resale value? Interior space seems about the same, except that the Forester offers more vertical space, or maybe that is an optical illusion. Any thoughts and advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cars101.com will give all specs. Forester is Impreza platform. My Forester seems to have more snappy handling than the Legato, but the Legato is roomier. Tradeoff.

We are on our second (sorta) Outback. Our 2000 wagon was purchased as a Legacy but we changed the suspension to an Outback, creating the 'Legaback'. We now drive an '06 Outback wagon. I have many tens of thousands of driving/riding miles in the Outbacks, and a relative few passenger only miles in a Forester (which as pointed out previously is actually a taller Impreza).

From my brief exposure I would say that the Outback is FAR more comfortable than the Forester, and does in fact have more volume. The Forester has a taller cargo space however. The handling is nowhere as good as the Outback (viewed from the PAX seat), nor is the ride. That said ... either is a great car, analyze your personal needs and choose the one that suits you best.

If I are planning off-road use, I would pick the Forester, lots of highway miles the Outback, hands down. I don't know the actual mileage on the Foresters, but I suspect the aerodynamics of the Outback would give better mileage compaied with the Forester (which has the aerodynamics of a brick). Our '06 gives is 28.7 mpg in regular driving and up 31.5 on interstate highway cruise control.

If I were looking for a second wagon (but I need a pickup for number 2), I would by a Forester rather than have two Outbacks. If I had the time, I would buy a Forester and converet it into a pickup, which I would then keep forever.

I'm on my second Forester. I owned a 1999, and currently drive an 2006. The Forester has more pep and handles better than the OBW. And why not? It weighs 300 lbs less than the OBW.

If the Forester has a weakness, it is the rear seats. They're OK in a pinch, but I would not want to do a trip of any length seated in them. Seldom do I have a passenger seated next to me, and never do I have passengers in the rear seats. So, the Forester works very well for me.

With the rear seats down, the Forester holds a surprising amount of stuff. What doesn't fit in the back, you can usually put on the roof rack.

However, I would be very happy to own either car. Let's face it, many Subaru models are more alike than different.

I had an Impreza now own a Forester and Drive may Dad's legacy once and a while... That being said, the forester feels like the Impreza in handling and I find it handles way better than the Legacy. Even my dad who's last two cars have been legacys prefers the handling of the Forester. As for comfort I agree the Legacy is more comfortable although it could do with a little more head room (the 07 model anyway). Gas mileage I do not know much about it, but I think I get a little bit better mileage in the forester than the legacy. The back seat room is far from roomy. As for reliability I don't know, my forester has 222,000kms on it, but I have only owned it for 10 months (put 29,000kms on it in that time) I have yet to have any serious problems, as for my dad's legacy he trades them in every four years so they are gone before any problems creep up. So if you are looking for comfort and room go with the legacy, if you want something a little peppier and want the handling go for the Forester :burnout:

Depends on where you live and how you use it. A Legacy type would be a pain to me as I do lots of city driving. When I have had people in back there is little footroom in the Forester.

My opinion is the Legacy or OBW are better for trips as they are roomier and the Legacy itself handles better than either OBW or Forester.

The Forester is a good choice for city living and hauling furniture which I seem to do far too often.

Not a lot of difference in mileage and pretty much the same running gear.

Never owned or drove a Forester, but have had a 2002 OBW H6 for 102,000 miles now. Wife drives it most of the time. We looked at the Forester too, but wife thought it was too boxy/utilitarian.

Brakes have been a minor issue with rotor "warping" (I know it's not really warping, but that's what everyone calls it) - on my 3rd set of rotors. But, I can live with that given that I can do the work myself and rotors aren't that expensive.

Have been somewhat disappointed in the gas mileage. Average 23-25 mpg on mid-grade. I don't think I ever got above 26 with it, even on the highway.

It's a comfortable car for 4 people, though the cargo area is a little small, IMO. We have 3 of us plus 2 dogs that regularly use it to go to our mountain house, and we always have to use the roof-top carrier as the dogs take up a lot of the room in the cargo area.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

You must go out and drive them. Drive an Outback. Drive an H6 Outback. Drive a Forester. Take someone with you. Sit in the seats.

You will always wonder if you made the wrong decision if you don't check ot both options. I test drove about 5 Outbacks and 3 Foresters before I decided...

Here's what I have observed:

- The Outback is bigger. It's wider, heavier, longer and comfier. I carry more stuff and people than I could with a Forester (4-person road trips to the ski mountain weren't feasible).

- The Forester handles much better. I narrowed it down to a 2001 Forester and my 2000 Outback. The Forester felt like an Formula One car in the twisties compared to my big, lumbering Outback. It was tighter and quicker.

- The Forester is louder at highway speeds.

- The Forester has much fancier amenities for the same amount of money.

- The Outback feels better in snow (I don't know why). The cars had similar cheap tires.

- The Forester seems to have a bunch of headroom, even more than the Outback. I think the seats are lower.

I chose the Outback. I like it, but I had a tough time deciding.