Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gary, I need to replace the inner ones also, I have never changed inner tie rods they look strange are those little washer things just locks to keep them from unthreading? Must I have the claw wrench to undo these or can they be taken off with vice grips or small pipe wrench?

yes they are all normal left hand threaded. no need to remove the inners to replace the outers. the outers have a flat spot on them for a wrench/or other tool. hold it in place while you turn the outers off.

Gary, I need to replace the inner ones also, I have never changed inner tie rods they look strange are those little washer things just locks to keep them from unthreading? Must I have the claw wrench to undo these or can they be taken off with vice grips or small pipe wrench?

Yeah, that "washer" has some tabs bent over to keep it from un threading. Use a screwdriver and hammer to bend them out of the way. Then either a big wrench, adjustable wrench or pipewrench to turn it loose.

Thanks Hocrest, I have never done these and was not sure about the correct way.

Yeah, that "washer" has some tabs bent over to keep it from un threading. Use a screwdriver and hammer to bend them out of the way. Then either a big wrench, adjustable wrench or pipewrench to turn it loose.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get the inner tie rods changed without the proper tools, However I got the inner tie rod tool I ordered yesterday. What a tool, it's a large pipe looking thing that slides over the inner rod, at the end near the engine you place one of the crow foot that fits the tie rod you are working on. On the other end is a socket hole to insert your breaker bar. This is a great tool I would not suggest changing these rods without it, I only paid 39.00 dollars for it from Harbor Freight they are 99.00 dollars from snap on. But I would think you should be able to rent these from some of the auto part stores. The picture of this tool is misleading it is much bigger and better then it looks on the tool site.

Yes, their was play in the front wheels at nine and three very noticeable. I also had the left front bearing out and I used the info. someone else posted on the board a while back about how to find it, I would like to credit that person but I dont remember who gave the info. Their info. was to raise the tires off of the ground and turn the tire while holding your hand on the spring you can easly feel the vibration in the spring it is a very good tip.

Back to the tie rods if you order these from Subaru make sure to order the new lock washers they are not like reg. lock washers so you need these, my old ones were not in good shape.

I went to Midas for a alinement after changing mine and the manager there who I have come to know well after many years told me that the tie rods made by Moog are better then the O.E.M. and he said they will come with the new locks.

Good info! So how do you know you have an inner tie rod problem? Is there noticeable looseness or anything?