Ultimate Subaru Message Board

would a broken timming coze a bent valve

Yeah - he doesn't know how to time it.

1. Line up the middle of the three lines on the flywheel. NOT the ignition timing lines with the numbers (0, 10, 20) but the OTHER lines. They will be off by themselves, and only three lines about 1/16" apart from each other. These are the VALVE TIMING MARKS.

2. Drivers side cam mark (small hole on outer edge) points straight up.

3. Passenger side cam mark points straight down.

4. Throw the belts on.

It's that simple really, but the first time it gets people. It's 4 simple steps - don't think about it, just do it and drive it.

Make sure he has the crank sprockets on in the right order. The one with the groove in the back goes on first.

GD

a friend of mine works as a mechanic he did the work for 165. plus 30 for part. tensioner pully went on my car so it ate the timming belt but wont start and shakes a little when starting i think he just doen't know how to time a subi

(leaivng out all the little details, to keep it short -

You have to check that the belts were timed correctly. Use the 3 marks on the flywheel, line up the marks on the cam near the battery. Install that belt. Use a wrench to turn the crankshaft 360 degrees - EXACTLY 1 revolution. Then line up the marks on the other cam, install that belt.

The detailed procedure should be on the site somewhere. (USRM?)

About the only thing I'd worry about is if the timing belt broke while the car was running, and it coasted to a stop in gear, the engine would be turning without oil pressure which would not be good for the bearings. Granted there wouldnt' be much of a load on it, but metal to metal with no lube is never a good thing...

Yeah - he doesn't know how to time it.

1. Line up the middle of the three lines on the flywheel. NOT the ignition timing lines with the numbers (0, 10, 20) but the OTHER lines. They will be off by themselves, and only three lines about 1/16" apart from each other. These are the VALVE TIMING MARKS.

2. Drivers side cam mark (small hole on outer edge) points straight up.

3. Passenger side cam mark points straight down.

4. Throw the belts on.

It's that simple really, but the first time it gets people. It's 4 simple steps - don't think about it, just do it and drive it.

Make sure he has the crank sprockets on in the right order. The one with the groove in the back goes on first.

GD

GD, you mind if i save a link directly to this post for a "short version" how-to on the timing belts in the future?