Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need suggestions

I have a 95 legacy wagon AWD, the temperature gauge goes up about 1/3 of the way, and stays there, I have warm air, not hot, The car did not overheat in the summer at all, ran cool stayed at the same place as it does now. Where should I start by changing thermostats, flushing the system, any help would be appreciated.

Roger

I would think the T-Stat is probably stuck open, but if you want to try something easy first you can take the radiator cap off when engine is cold then start engine with heater on and add coolant as you get room in the radiator this will take a little time.

Also the temp. control lever for the heater may not be working right.

I'm going with a stuck t-stat. The engine temp mid poing on the gauge is only 10 degrees higher then the opening temp of the t-stat, so it does cycle open closed to keep the temp up.

Since yours is stuck open, it never gets a chance to warm up.

Also time to change the coolant and radiator cap.

mipper

I'm going with a stuck t-stat. The engine temp mid poing on the gauge is only 10 degrees higher then the opening temp of the t-stat, so it does cycle open closed to keep the temp up.

Since yours is stuck open, it never gets a chance to warm up.

Also time to change the coolant and radiator cap.

mipper

+1 on what "Mipper" said. Remeber to get a genuine Subaru OEM t-stat, not aftermarket.

Porcupine 73, you do really good work with your pictures, along with the other people here who post pictures. I find them to be very helpful, to me and Iam sure to many others. I guess I will have to get my son to teach me how to do this.

Right on, go with OEM thermostat, which is very stout in comparison to aftermarket. Also you need the rubber gasket that goes around the thermostat.

thermostat1.jpg

Thermostat is in the housing circled in red below:

thermostat-location1.jpg

I changed the thermostat, gasket and radiator cap today, all oem. Still having problems getting it to bleed, and only one of the heater hoses was warm not hot, I took one of the heater hoses off and ran a garden hose thru it. Water runs through it freely now. the heater hose on the passenger side is real hot and the one on the drivers side is warm, What is the step by step procedure to bleed the system, I just filled it with water to flush the system out, Thanks for all of your help, and what should the air temp be coming out of the vents when everything is working properly. Just one note when the radiator was drawing water from the overflow tank it actually collapsed the top radiator hose , is this normal

Thanks

Roger

there are a few things to do, mine has yet to fail me.

Start the car with the cap off.

Open the bleeder on the top of the radiator.

Turn the heat on full with the blower on high.

Wait for the car to throwup some antifreeze (this is the T-stat opeining). Top off the cooling system slowly.

Shut car off, close bleeder, put cap back on.

Let car cool off (make sure the overflow is full at the hot mark).

Once car is cool, check coolant level. Top off as needed. Replace Cap and take fopr a test drive.

Usually you only have to do this once. A second time wouldnt be unusual.

Also you can go to www.endwrench.com in the archives for another way to do it.

nipper

Right on, go with OEM thermostat, which is very stout in comparison to aftermarket. Also you need the rubber gasket that goes around the thermostat.

I love comparison pics! Which would you rather have in your car?? This shows the rubber gaskets also.

thermostat.jpg