Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Legacy: Not starting w/ no spark

Help!!! I have a 91 Legacy that has no spark. I have tested the coil, ignition control unit and the main computer. All of the parts worked in another Subaru. I have also tested the gas line for pressure and it will pump gas. I have know idea what I need to look at next. Any ideas? Thanks.

Have you checked for power getting to the ignition system? If not, do that.

And how do I go about that? That seems to be the problem. The car isn't sparking. It will turn over and over but no spark. All the fuses are good and the fusable link is good. As I stated in the lead string I have checked the coil, ignightor, computer, and fuel pump. What else is there?

Check the Crank and Cam Sensors. You should have a CEL light on if these are out, but you never know. The Crank Sensor triggers the spark I believe.

I did change that out and that didn't work but it was a used part. So I guess I will go back and revisit it and verify it in another Legacy. Thanks. I will let you know. Any other ideas on top of that??

I think a common problem for the ignition power was a faulty connector terminal that tied to the ignition switch. The connector was under the steering column. You would need to remove the cover under it to get at it.

To check for power you need to use either a test light probe or a voltmeter. You need to verify that power is getting to the ignition using one of these testers at least. You can't just look at it and assume it is ok.

I think a common problem for the ignition power was a faulty connector terminal that tied to the ignition switch. The connector was under the steering column. You would need to remove the cover under it to get at it.

To check for power you need to use either a test light probe or a voltmeter. You need to verify that power is getting to the ignition using one of these testers at least. You can't just look at it and assume it is ok.

Do you know the name of that part and or what it looks like? Would the ignition plug into it?

ummm yup. know that.

Seriously......

You need to start by confirming that there is power at the ignition switch by testing the power lead into the ignition switch for voltage .

Use a test light.

If there is power then test the power wire coming out from the ignition switch with the key in the on position and check that for power.

Once you have verified power in both positions then you can move forward to the engine bay for faults w/no spark.

You really need to do things in order to slowly ween out the possibilities.

Let us know.