Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange... shaking and some smoke

After leaving the 96 obw AT at my parent's house for the weekend (I was using the old man's pickup to help with my residential move), I decided to bring it home.

My parents driveway is very steep, and the car was parked pointing downhill. When I started the car, it began shaking, sputtering a bit, and was belching smoke from the tail pipe. CEL started blinking. I pulled out of the driveway onto flat land, and shut the thing off before I suffocated.

After calming down, I went back outside, started the car, and it ran fine. Made it the 25 miles home no problem. CEL is still on, I'll have it checked tomorrow. I'm guessing it'll say P030x.

Any guesses as to why this happened? Should I avoid parking on declines for extended periods of time?

Hopefully it was an isolated event. I'll get the code checked asap, since I hate seeing the CEL illuminated.

eag

Fuel was at >50%. The smoke did smell like a bit of burning oil.

Probably was a bit of oil getting combusted, definitely seems like a fluke.

The question is, does something need to be replaced (oil seal somewhere), or would this happen to any 11 year old boxer parked in a similar manner?

The car runs great now, I'll get the code checked at lunch and update the situation.

The question is, does something need to be replaced (oil seal somewhere), or would this happen to any 11 year old boxer parked in a similar manner?

QUOTE]

I have A '99 obw and my driveway is also steep (ie. i need to pull the parking break almost all the way for it to hold). The car has ~132,000 mi on it and it is parked faceing down the hill all the time and it has never had a problem.

Check engine light went out on its own, checked the code and it was indeed a misfire, on cylinder 4.

I had a problem with the same misfire before I had the headgaskets done at the beginning of the year, but this is the first time the CEL has come on since the HG job.

Probably an isolated incident, but I'm gonna have the mechanic check it out when I take it in for an oil change (there's a slight oil drip coming from the drivers side of the tbelt cover).