Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale 4wd Wagon Low Compression

Hello,

First post, don't even have a suby, but lookin for one under $1000.

Today I looked at a 92 Loyale, manual, 200,00 miles, $500 OBO, but doesn't start. Owner said about 2 months ago he was driving, the engine started making a ticking sound then quit.

Pulled plugs and turned over engine and looks like spark is there.

I checked the compression and am confused, hope you can help me out. I dont know the numbers of the cylinders, but here go's:

Passenger side front = 65psi

Passenger side rear = 150psi

Driver side front = 20psi

Driver side rear = 0psi

He said Timing belts were replaced 2 years ago.

Let me know what you think.

Those drivers side numbers indicate a broken timing belt. But the fact that you are still getting spark is a little weird. The distributor is run from the t-belt on that side. The differential between the cylinders 1 and 3 seems a little suspect too (mostly the fact of seeing 150psi in an old subaru)

Depending on how good you are with a wrench and where you are (determines rust and parts availability), I'm not sure I would pay $500 for it.

It does sound like a head gasket issue to me. Both cylinders are very low, and the 20 in one plus the presence of spark at the plugs indicates the timing belt is not broken and the cam is turning.

I would say you are looking at a best case of about $100 in parts for a head gasket job, or a worst case of internal engine damage and you'll need another motor (ulikely). But it's not as if you can't find these engines under every rock....

I would say $500 is *ok* if the car is otherwise immaculent. Otherwise pass. I got a low mileage 94 Legacy (in Portland) for $750 that just needed a water pump. Craigslist is full of them weekly.

If you get it and need some help I'm close, and I've done dozens of Subaru head gaskets. It helps to have someone with experience with these engines as they are a bit quirky in their design, and some important points are not immediately apparent to the newly initiated.

GD

Well, now my heads spinning, I'm going to have to go back there tomorrow and see if it's still for sale. Need to see it in better light. Don't think you could use the term emmaculate to describe it, I know one of the CV boots needs to be replaced.

One thing on the spark. It was dark when I checked it. Pulled a plug hooked the wire up, tried my best to find a ground for the threaded part, never actually saw the spark, but felt it ZAP when the owner turned the car over. Tried again, but never saw a spark. Maybe I got lucky and the rotor disty cap were in the perfect position to shock me on that particular cylinder.

So if I take off the disty cap and turn the engine over, and the rotor spins, I know that belt is good?

How do I know if the passenger side belt is good?

How do I know if it's a head gasket?

Thanks for the offer for help General!! We'll see.

Go beavs

Well, now my heads spinning, I'm going to have to go back there tomorrow and see if it's still for sale. Need to see it in better light. Don't think you could use the term emmaculate to describe it, I know one of the CV boots needs to be replaced.

One thing on the spark. It was dark when I checked it. Pulled a plug hooked the wire up, tried my best to find a ground for the threaded part, never actually saw the spark, but felt it ZAP when the owner turned the car over. Tried again, but never saw a spark. Maybe I got lucky and the rotor disty cap were in the perfect position to shock me on that particular cylinder.

So if I take off the disty cap and turn the engine over, and the rotor spins, I know that belt is good?

Yes - that will tell you if the drivers side belt is good.

How do I know if the passenger side belt is good?

Best way is to remove the oil filler tube and shine a flashlight in there while it's cranking. The inspection grommet on the cover isn't real helpful as it's common for the belts to strip teeth off them rather than just break. Verifying that the cam is actually turning is much better and easier anyway (2 12mm bolts).

How do I know if it's a head gasket?

No compression is a good indicator. Either the timing has jumped a lot, or the head gasket is blown. Only way to really tell is to re-time it and check the compression again with known good timing.

Thanks for the offer for help General!! We'll see.

Go beavs

Yeah - no problem.

GD

Took another look at it today.

Took disty cap off and turned over engine, rotor didn't spin = bad timing belt. I got shocked last week because the rotor was pointed at the plug wire on the cylinder I was checking spark.

Also found a reciept for a compression test done on the engine 3 years ago. 1,2,3 heads = 150psi. #4head=145psi.

The car has been sitting idle for over 2 months. I know compression tests are supposed to be done with the engine warm. Is it a fair test (obviously it is for severe problems ie broken timing belt) if it is done cold, could the 65psi cylinder be reading low just because oil hasn't been pumping, and the cylinder is dry and cold?

I offered him $300, he didn't take it.

Is there a step by step online for timing belts and head gaskets? Thought I might read up a little. Timing belt looks easy enough, obviously the radiator needs to come out.

Oh, and what causes timing belts to fail, seized something or other?

If the belt is broken, then the head gaskets are fine. The valves are partially open becaues of where the cam stopped. That's why the comp. check reads so low.

If you want, I could assist you with the timing belts. Get me a case of Rolling Rock, and I'll make the job easy by tutoring you along. I have plenty of other mechanicing to do this next weekend anyway. Get the car, order the timing belt set from ebay for $60 and bring both here next weekend....

GD

From the glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe, we tender this premium Beer for your enjoyment.

Yeah, except now that is just a slogan. Notice the quotes around that on the new bottles and the disclaimer saying in the spirit of our motto

or some crap like that before it. RR was bought by anheiser busch, and is now brewed in the giant industrial stainless tanks as all the other chemical swill passed off as Ale, in St. Louis, MO.

Yeah, except now that is just a slogan. Notice the quotes around that on the new bottles and the disclaimer saying in the spirit of our motto

or some crap like that before it. RR was bought by anheiser busch, and is now brewed in the giant industrial stainless tanks as all the other chemical swill passed off as Ale, in St. Louis, MO.

oh i know.... its still good beer though, and that wee inscription goes back a LOOONG ways in my head.

Most of the beer I drink is either amber bock, or microbrew stuff... Left Hand, Dogfishhead, a couple euro brews, GOOD stuff. NOT mass-market beer.. its rare for me to enjoy one of the megaliths so much, so I pretend to be the ignorant consumer about brands I DO like :rolleyes:

Most of the beer I drink is either amber bock, or microbrew stuff... Left Hand, Dogfishhead, a couple euro brews, GOOD stuff. NOT mass-market beer.. its rare for me to enjoy one of the megaliths so much, so I pretend to be the ignorant consumer about brands I DO like :rolleyes:

It's weird - I started out with that stuff - Fat Tire, and (around here) McMennemins brews, but now I would just rather have a half rack of RR. It's just good. Although I do like some of the "chewy" beers still, I find that more of my enjoyment in drinking a few long necks is the company I'm with.

GD

I think I might have OD'd on micros after drinking only them for about a decade. I'm back to PBR and Guiness and Jameson, and every now and then Bud or RR, and just about anything. I take it back I still love micros, I'm guess I'm not too discriminating.

Anyway, sure learned a lot about EA82's in the last week, only to get a line on a 91 Legacy wagon, 5sd, 4WD, zillion miles, 500obo, says it runs like a top.

Seriously thanks for all the input. Really helped me go into the deal (even though it didn't happen) with a much better feeling. Still going to consider the 92 Loyale with bad timing belt, if the if the Legacy doesn't work out.