Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To Bleed the Brakes 87-GL-10 (scroll down)

Whew! ALL NEW CALIPERS all the way around! woohoo!!!!

so now i need to bleed the brakes....

I saw

RR - LR - RF - LF

is this correct? and ive bled the brakes on my legacy once.... but that was a while ago...

i got one of those little hand pump guys at harborfreight (bottle with tube) but im just not sure when to have my buddy pump and when i unscrew and screw back in ect....

just for a refresher (searched and found http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4213448.html )

thanks!

so i bled the brakes as it said in the manual, (keep in mind 4 brand new brake calipers)

Have my helper sit in the car he pushes down, i open the bleeder bolt into my bleeder jar, then i close the bleeder nut, and he releases the brake pedal, he pushes down on the brake pedal, and with pressure on the pedal, i release the bolt, ect ect ect..... until theres just fluid coming out, with no air bubbles.

went all the way around the car in the correct order.

but now the pedal still falls to the floor, but after a solid pump, i get some pushing back, but then if i stop again, it goes to the floor....

do i bleed them AGAIN??? did i need to do something at the master cylinder??? i made sure i kept fluid in the master cylinder while i did it, and closed it every time before starting the helper procedure again...

master cylinder is full of fluid......

Yeah, you'll need to re-bleed system. You haven't expelled all of the air out yet. Happens to the best of us sometimes.

Start at the Master Cylinder and work out from there. Have your assistant slowly pump the pedal a couple times, then hold pedal as you crack the line/bleeders loose.

I've lucked out and not got air in the system a couple times when changing calipers out, (I do still bleed system afterwards just so you know). Other times I've wore out my Wife's legs, (She be my pedal operator), trying to get all the air out.

SOLVED*********************SOLVED

I instructed the helper to push on the brakes once per time and then tell me when they were down....instead.... they were to pump and pump and pump until the pedal felt FIRM... THEN say "down" and i proceed to bleed ......

Then i close the screw and they pump pump pump and say "down" and i loosen into the jar and tighten... they release.... repeat....

Brakes are solid now....

:) And i am learning!! woohoo!:banana::)

What you did is what I do but after the mc has been purged of air I then turn on the engine and proceed with bleeding ;-) amazing what a difference the booster makes..my pedal is harder than my buds wrx..I know not exactly apples to apples but you should see the look on his face when he feels my pedal..might have something to do with the single stage booster but don't tell him that...;):rolleyes: and this is with worn out rear calipers that are leaking slightly

Old gen sub drivers are crazy..:headbang: :headbang:

Kaz

• 3 months later...
nuclearbacon (where the hell did you get THAT moniker??) glad to hear you got it done, but could you tell me the sequence that you did it in? Please? I'm very confused after this discussion. :)

I just checked the Service manual - section 4-4 page 52

Front Left

Rear Right

Front Right

Rear Left

that is the sequence i did it in.... brakes are awesome