Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i checked all my fuses and relays.....i dont really have any schematics for the wiring

its a 99rs, the only way i can get it to engage is if i pull the relay out of the fusebox, and connect two of the plugs with a jumper wire

i would love to have a detailed discussion about this lol

-sean

in other words, would i be able to solve it with a couple cans of refrigerant

Yes, maybe, but for how long, a day, a month, a year?

Also how long have you had this problem. If its recent the system may not be contaminated. If its been a month or more it may need to be evacuated to get the moisture out.

nipper

it didnt work when i bought the car, that was sometime in the summer..i never cared cuz i could put the sunroof back

Take it to a shop then and have it done properly. You can try and do it yourself, but if it doesnt take you just waisted money on refrigerant. Most likely its a bad O ring someplace, and by now some moisture in the system.

nipper

If you can find the parts, yes they are rebuildable. They are actually fairly straight forward. Sometimes though the shaft seal is wiped out because the seal has worn a ridge in the shaft.

You know the old saying, you can't make it any worse then it already is, so go ahead and take it apart.

nipper

What I would suggest is buying a couple cans of 134a refrigerant, and an installation hose, if you don't have one. It is also a good idea to buy a can of 134a with leak detector. Once installed, use a black light to see where the refrigerant is leaking out.

Don't know if Subie is one, but some cars have a temperature sensor that prevents the compressor from turning on if the outside temp is lower then about 56 degrees. I know VWs have this feature. You may want to find out if Subies have this feature.

I think all cars A/C systems are now made, so if the system has a refrigerant leak, the A/C compressor will not turn on if the refrigerant level is too low. So, I suggest adding one can of 134a to see if the compressor to see if the compressor will turn on. If so, add the leak detector to find the leak. If you can't find a leak, then fully recharge the system. If there is only a small leak, then I don't even think about tearing into the system to find an "O" ring leak. That is way too much work for not much gain. I have one old car that I add a can or two of 134a over a summer to keep the A/C pumping out cold air. Paying only about $15 for cool air over a summer season is the route that I take.

What I would suggest is buying a couple cans of 134a refrigerant, and an installation hose, if you don't have one. It is also a good idea to buy a can of 134a with leak detector. Once installed, use a black light to see where the refrigerant is leaking out.

Don't know if Subie is one, but some cars have a temperature sensor that prevents the compressor from turning on if the outside temp is lower then about 56 degrees. I know VWs have this feature. You may want to find out if Subies have this feature.

I think all cars A/C systems are now made, so if the system has a refrigerant leak, the A/C compressor will not turn on if the refrigerant level is too low. So, I suggest adding one can of 134a to see if the compressor to see if the compressor will turn on. If so, add the leak detector to find the leak. If you can't find a leak, then fully recharge the system. If there is only a small leak, then I don't even think about tearing into the system to find an "O" ring leak. That is way too much work for not much gain. I have one old car that I add a can or two of 134a over a summer to keep the A/C pumping out cold air. Paying only about $15 for cool air over a summer season is the route that I take.

It really depends upon how green you are if you want to have an easily fixable leak. If he takes it to a shop, they will find the leak and fix it.

Personally i am so against anyone who does not have a set of gauges, with an ac system that has been dead for months, just throwing a few cans of refrigerant into an ac system.

If he wants to try it fine, but i reserve the right for an "i told you so" if he cant get it to blow cold enough :clap:

nipper