Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New 84 sooby owner here

I just purchased a nice 84 soob gl wagon. I really dig it. I used to own a brat and now I have this one.

pros:

only 140,000 miles

4x4

a/c option

1 owner (older lady)

cons:

minor cosmetic rust, expected of course

automatic

oil leaks (probably valve cover heads?)

I am not looking for a super fast ride but here are two things I'd like to mull over.........eventually making it a manual tranny, and also fixing rust spots particularly around frame/structural parts.

any advice from you a fellow soobhead would be only appreciated :)

HatchSub did a write up for converting an EA81 to manual its in the USRM. Maybe he will add his thoughts too.

With the automatic you have a hydraulic lifter motor, it should have gold stickers on the valve covers. This should be on your pro list.

Welcome to the USMB.

Welcome to the Board!!!!! Quite a few Members on here from your neck of the woods, some closer than others.

Most difficult part of swapping in a manual tranny is doing the pedal box. Not alot of room under the dash to work in, pulling the drivers seat helps, 'specially if you take up alot of space yourself, like me......

Whats up buddy. I am about 3 hours from you. I have an 84 brat. I just pulled my Dual Range manual trans and engine to drop in the ER27 twin turbo. I am looking at selling it. I also have experiance swaping auto to manual (Nissan SR20DET) never the less it was a swap. If you want to talk let me know. I know it is far but it would be fun to do the trans swap.

Heads are easy, do it when you swap the trans.

Rust, Kill it fast and seek it out everywhere and distroy it all. If you dont get rid of it all it will just keep coming back.

Welcome !!! Lesson number 1..you must post pictures:grin: .

Actually I would like to see pics of the rust and maybe we can help with fixing it. You got yourself a great car there and will have many happy years with it..just remember you take care of it and it will take care of you....and soon you will have Subamultosia...a very infectious desease..you will find you driveway covered in multiple Subarus;)

Nice to see closer people on this thread... Goldsboro, NC, only 2 1/2 hours from me, My Twin brother lives in Roanoke, and I am there all the time since I travel for my work. (self employed, independent HUD REAC inspector).. I get all over.

I will be up in Roanoke in the next couple of weeks, so we need to get up some time.. and a couple more weeks after that. I will likely be driving my 84 GL with 4 inch lift, 15 pug alloys with 205/75/15 all terrain tires on it, big ol' cargo rack, etc..

I was in Goldsboro about two weeks ago, and just this past week, I was in Raleigh, Greensboro, and Wilson (only 24 miles from you, Goldsboro guy).

BTW, I live in Elizabeth City, NC, 40 miles south of Norfolk, VA.

I just wanted to chime in, not to "hi-jack" your thread, but Welcome nonetheless, and look forward to hearing/seeing you.

/mike

Michael Dominesey

mikldom@yahoo.com

Hey buddy, this sounds like we should keep in touch! I am in no hurry to do things but I do like to keep our doors open :)

I am willing to work with you on things if you are willing also. Tell me the specifics on your tranny etc...miles, any probs?

I would also like your advice on the tranny swap. The auto has push button 4wd switch on the automatic lever so that may be a stick in the spokes. what do you think? someone also mentioned that the pedal install is difficult and that the driveshaft lengths could be different.

I am willing to invest money into this project if the numbers are right.

Whats up buddy. I am about 3 hours from you. I have an 84 brat. I just pulled my Dual Range manual trans and engine to drop in the ER27 twin turbo. I am looking at selling it. I also have experiance swaping auto to manual (Nissan SR20DET) never the less it was a swap. If you want to talk let me know. I know it is far but it would be fun to do the trans swap.

Heads are easy, do it when you swap the trans.

Rust, Kill it fast and seek it out everywhere and distroy it all. If you dont get rid of it all it will just keep coming back.

That rust is nothing....honestly..I would grind it out...POR-15 it or any other rust preventor...make sure its all cleaned up and either weld or pop-rivet some new metal and then just glass or bondo over it smooth and shape and repaint it...That car is beautiful..specially for an east coast car

What I explained is how I fixed a worse rust spot than that in my XT6:

XT6023.jpg

Bad bad old repair job ^

moreRockyPics005.jpg

After repair

And finally..the finished car:

moreRockyPics045.jpg

And should I also mention I am a girl and except for a spot that was welded on the floor ( cause I didnt have a welder at the time...but I do now) all the work on the car was done by me.

Welder002.jpg

You can fix that..I would say it would take a weekend to do it( and thats allowing time for stuff to dry) That car is too beautiful

Hey buddy, this sounds like we should keep in touch! I am in no hurry to do things but I do like to keep our doors open :)

I am willing to work with you on things if you are willing also. Tell me the specifics on your tranny etc...miles, any probs?

I would also like your advice on the tranny swap. The auto has push button 4wd switch on the automatic lever so that may be a stick in the spokes. what do you think? someone also mentioned that the pedal install is difficult and that the driveshaft lengths could be different.

I am willing to invest money into this project if the numbers are right.

My door is open as well! The tranny has 130K on it 4spd dual range and runs like glass (not broken). I havent had any probs with it. I only pulled it to drop in the Twin turbo and 5 MT box. I do know the drive shafts are a different length. I do still have the drive shaft as well. When I get home we can talk and if you want to stop by and check them out we can talk numbers. When I get home I will send you a picture. Anywho, keep in touch. I need to get back to work.

GL

Scott