Ultimate Subaru Message Board

STI motor in a gl

jbecker

What about an EJ22T in a 83 GL 4WD Hatch with a EA81? :-\

It's doable, but probably not the best platform for the EJ22T.

Power is one thing, but handling... that's what seperates the racing men from the ricer boys.

EA82's have few handling options available. The EA81's even less. Would a EJ22T EA81 hatch slammed to the ground w/a 5 lug swap and WRX wheels look hot... heck yeah. but it might handle like a POS.

Here's the thing. w/the EJ-EA adapter plate and some wrenching knowledge and willingness to cut sheet metal you can put any EJ into any EA body style. You will have accept that the answer is going to be "doable, but..." because each swap will have it's own set of problems.

As long as you are willing to stick to it and make it work, you can do anything. I mean, the themixtoo was doing a complete EJ drivetrain swap into a BRAT, including rear sub-frame. He's still working on it. it's been two or so years.

I think I will start a thread that hopefully will be stickyed w/a who's who of EJ swappage so people can PM them w/questions.

BW

• 2 weeks later...
i wish they would have specified what tribeca engine it was..... the 3.0 or the 3.6? probably the 3.0 cuz i dont think the 3.6 would fit.

440 awHP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:

-Dalton

the EZ36 has the same outer dimensions as the EZ30. but Perrin did the swap before the 36 was released. it's an EZ30DR.

also, the 440 hp number was on stock internals + low comp pistons. after that, they did a full bottom end build with rods, and valvetrain, cranked the boost and put down more than 600 before the turbo ran out of steam. too bad he sold it before really testing it's limits.