Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 Subaru Wagon ?

can anyone advise me if a 1988 subaru wagon was a fuel injected model ? I think the 86 version still has a carb but cant recall.

Also does the 1988 wagon still have the dual range trans ?

And SHOULD I assume the dual range trans for a EA82 engine is the exact same trans used in the older EA81 engine ?

Thanks for answering both questions ... Joe

88 GL wagons will be SPFI and D/R . the DL models I am not sure about..the 87 is a hit or miss with the SPFI.

Usually if it is a GL or GL-10 model it will have the D/r ...as long as it isnt FWD

And I do not believe that the tranny is the same between EA81s and EA82 but for some reason I think you can interchange them..I am sure others will chime in

88 GL wagons will be SPFI and D/R . the DL models I am not sure about..the 87 is a hit or miss with the SPFI.

Usually if it is a GL or GL-10 model it will have the D/r ...as long as it isnt FWD

And I do not believe that the tranny is the same between EA81s and EA82 but for some reason I think you can interchange them..I am sure others will chime in

88 GL wagon will be SPFI(87 last year carbed)

Transmission could be either a pushbutton single range 4wd, or Dual range lever action 4wd. Both where available in 88 and you could order either.

Well I know it is a manual trans. so it must be dual range as you said.

I guess the only question is WILL a EA81 dual range manual trans fit into/ work without any modification onto a EA82 motor ?

I still wonder which is better the old dual range trans or the current automatic trans ALL WHEEL DRIVE in the snow ? Any opinions ????

Well I know it is a manual trans. so it must be dual range as you said.

I guess the only question is WILL a EA81 dual range manual trans fit into/ work without any modification onto a EA82 motor ?

I still wonder which is better the old dual range trans or the current automatic trans ALL WHEEL DRIVE in the snow ? Any opinions ????

youd be better off finding a dual range ea82 manual trans to drop in. lord knows theres plenty to be found and from what i heard les headaches. I have the push button 4x4 on my 88 dl wagon and will be converting to dual range when my tranny goes out.

We had a bit of a snow storm here last week and i finally had the chance to try out my 4wd. Had to say it did great. Definately a difference with front wheel drive and 4 wheel drive mode. Even after the snow melted and froze backinto ice i had much much better traction on the ice with 4wd engaged. Dual range is nice but if its a daily driver might not be necessary. The only reason i will change it is because as long as im there might as well do what i want.

Ben

EA81 D/R is a 4 speed and they suck (well - their linkage, and their mounts suck, but I digress).

All EA82's had 5 speed's - the transmissions are phisically different and modifications are required to swap them around.

For example - I have an EA82 5 speed D/R in my EA81 Brat. Because the 5MT's are better. Just trust me on this.

The manual could either be a push-button or a D/R for 88 - there's no way to tell.

GD

if you have a 5 speed and its 4x4 check if there is a button in the center of the shift knob it will bea bright orange or red that is a single range. if it dosent have that check next to the seat there will be another lever there its for the 4x4 and it will be duel range.

PS if you want to put the 5 speed duel range in your ea81 car you have to get a clutch plate for an 85 it will have 6 springs then a fly wheel. also you will need to pm jerry he makes the 5 speed kits so you can put the tranny in and make the car look stock inside. his board name is "bratsrus1"

Rob:cool:

yeah i beleave you can have both. its liek the one year toyota had FI and stright axle. lol

'88 and '89 had SPFI and dual range... and CA '87's.

EA81 D/R is a 4 speed and they suck (well - their linkage, and their mounts suck, but I digress).

....and third gear seems to go out on them for some reason. I've never had any issue with the 5 speed dual range though -- slightly lower lo range too (1.59 vs 1.49 IIRC).

'88 and '89 had SPFI and dual range... and CA '87's.

Not all 88 and 89s were D/R. Either trans was available on GLs(altough it seems most had D/R)

I've never had any issue with the 5 speed dual range though -- slightly lower lo range too (1.59 vs 1.49 IIRC).

I had one grenade the HI/LO gears. Only low range functioned after that. Had to pull the rear driveshaft section to drive around til I got new trans. In fairness I was wheelin in deep snow and not being gentle to 'er.

yeah i beleave you can have both. its liek the one year toyota had FI and stright axle. lol

oh i know oh i know, 1985 :banana:

but as far as the 88s i have never seen a push button GL. as I always known it and haven't seen different is the DLs had the push button single range but were a stripped down no power windows or anything and the GLs had the DR and power stuff.

so it was the easy way of decoding craigs list ads.

but as far as the 88s i have never seen a push button GL. as I always known it and haven't seen different is the DLs had the push button single range but were a stripped down no power windows or anything and the GLs had the DR and power stuff.

As I said, MOST GL had D/R. Most GLs had power Windows/doors as well. But all those things were optional. I have seen 88 GLs, with no power windows or locks, and Single Range tranny. Basically an early Loyale

I have to agree with ellets, that dual range I had would go anywhere too. I've had the push button 4wd 5spd, the push button auto, and the dual range. And I would definitely take the d/r over anything. Last year we had a storm here right around Valentines day that was really bad, and the roads took forever to clear up. But I drove through all of it with no problem. Low range is beautiful when the weather isn't :)