Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roller Drivetrain

Is there any company that makes a roller drivetrain for EA motors, specifically EA81 and EA82? If there isn't, there should be. Also, are there larger valves on the market available for these engines, or any other performance parts for that matter? I would like to get as much power as I can out of my EA81, and don't try to tell me to swap to EJ22, because I want to run no timing belts. Im looking for 200-250 hp.

-Bill

Is there any company that makes a roller drivetrain for EA motors, specifically EA81 and EA82? If there isn't, there should be. Also, are there larger valves on the market available for these engines, or any other performance parts for that matter? I would like to get as much power as I can out of my EA81, and don't try to tell me to swap to EJ22, because I want to run no timing belts. Im looking for 200-250 hp.

-Bill

try the air plane companys this one use too have roller rockers and the duel port heads , the biggest limit to the EA81 engine . http://ramengines.com/index.html

but for your money i wont tell you what you need to do :)

-Bill

You certainly will not make 200-250 HP out of an EA81 without ALOT of modification and some type of supercharging. Sorry to say.

I would like to get as much power as I can out of my EA81, and don't try to tell me to swap to EJ22, because I want to run no timing belts. Im looking for 200-250 hp.

-Bill

Ah to be 18 again! :lol:

Roller rockers won't get you squat by themselves - that's just icing after you REDESIGN the heads, pistons, rods, and add a HUGE blower.

RAM makes a 200 HP EA81. It costs about $15,000, and that's a bargain.

Frankly the EJ22 timing belts are very well designed. I wouldn't hesitate to run one off road. The covers fit nicely and can be sealed pretty easily.

EA82 is a different story - I wouldn't get near a dusty barn with those timing belts. Sad, wimpy, emaciated things that they are....

GD

1.8 litre motor, one hundred horsepower per litre is a pretty lofty goal for a pushrod motor. so that means the limit(in my mind) is 180 hp. that would mean huge ports in heads, T3, reving to 7k, pushing 20lbs of boost, and your powerband would be from 4500 up to 7000.

i had a er27 in my hatch, it had about 150hp and that made the hatch scream! with the lighter ea81 and around 120 hp, i think you'd achieve just about the same results.

ea and er timing belts are geh. ejs are supersweet

I figured it won't be easy to make power, but I am considering highly modified heads, full roller valvetrain for longer engine life, especially at the high rpm, lighter wieght forged custom crankshaft, h-beam rods, high volume oiling system, and completely new custom intake. I know it won't be anywhere near cheap, but it is a dream of mine to have a 250 hp EA81. Funding will be the biggest problem, but I am sure it can happen, and some day I will have the dyno sheet to prove it.

i think it was 120 or something like that but jerry in selah built an ea 81 for a guy and the guy had lotts of money LOTTS and i think thats what it topped out at and it had something like decked heads down to the water jackets,ea71 pistions,cam ect. but yeah it could be done but its way way way to much money. but its your dream go for it. as for me im dropping a custom carbed ej22 into my hatch :) but again a dream and hopfully by wcss11 lol.

I figured it won't be easy to make power, but I am considering highly modified heads, full roller valvetrain for longer engine life, especially at the high rpm, lighter wieght forged custom crankshaft, h-beam rods, high volume oiling system, and completely new custom intake. I know it won't be anywhere near cheap, but it is a dream of mine to have a 250 hp EA81. Funding will be the biggest problem, but I am sure it can happen, and some day I will have the dyno sheet to prove it.

No offence, but you have just listed a bunch of "buzzwords" here, most of which will give you little or no performance increase, let alone the 260% (!!!) increase you desire.

For example, the ea81 crank and conrods have been shown to last fine at engine speeds apporaching 10,000rpm - i seriously doubt you will be exceeding this, so new ones will give you little or no benefit. A lighter crankshaft is also rather redundant, since you are still going to have to throw a flywheel on the back of it anyway.

Roller valve train? who has ever heard of ea81 rockers wearing out prematurely? Sure, it will happen at high revs with hard springs etc, but will probably take much longer to wear than the engine will last at those sorts of power levels anyway.

You are not talking highly modified heads - you are talking completely redesigned and built from scratch heads.

I am not saying it cant be done..... but i think you underestimate how hard it would be to get such a huge amount of horsepower from a 70hp engine. By all means try for as many horses as possible, but concentrate on new heads, forced induction (supercharger pref.), pistons, cam, and ENGINE MANAGEMENT. the main internals will be fine.

and some day I will have the dyno sheet to prove it.

Wishfull thinking, and sad to say that you won't. Many, many people come here (mostly young like yourself) with grand ideas of reinventing the wheel. Let me tell you that I have yet to see Wheel 2.0, and I've been here since a lot of the big dawgs were playing with EA81's - people that have 30 to 40 years on you and thousands of $$ to play with. It hasn't happened yet and when it does it's not going to be some armchair type such as yourself that does it. It's the guys that never ask questions that do this sort of thing - they just DO it and then show up with pictures.

GD

im only adding my two cents because i commented on this thread first . i know there is a lot of lap top dynos out there and they all think they have a 600 hp Chev 350 but just buy adding a high lift race cam and over carbed 850 holly on a 1980 low comp smogger engine just because some add in a hot rod mag. said it will, is no reason to step on there dreams of that . but giving them the proper info to build that dream is better.

ive raced guys that think they have 200+ hp hondas in a known 110hp car and they learn fast that the header, cat back, MSD coil, and short shifter dont make a race car "knowledge" will .

that said if you want a 200 hp EA81 this is your list

block re sleeved to largest bore pistons you could get 2.2 or bigger

hi comp pistons 11:1

prepped with block main pins to limit flex

high volume oil pump

cam custom grind for max lift and duration for your needs

the air craft duel port heads are a MUST!! with valve springs for your cams lift and rpm range

port matched intake and exhaust

solid lifters and stronger push rods

stock shaft rockers are one of the toughest out there

fuel injected engine management with dyno a tuned settup

dist replaced with a crank pickup and computer controlled spark

equal length header with tuned collector pipes

cold air intake with high flow filter

I could go on and on but at best this will only brake the 150+ hp range the cost is over 10,000 $$ and all you have is a

belt less EJ22 that will cost me $100.00 at a pick and pull and it will make 140hp all day long . but at least you know what you would be getting in to when you build that stomping EA81 and you are not the only one that has thought of making it happen :grin:

250 horse from an EA81? two words: Nitrous Oxide. if it's build stong enough, N2O will give you more power than you know what to do with...then it will promptly find your weakpoint...and break it. a nice wet system (nitrous with fuel added together) would do wonders, but now you're messing with enough power to break the block apart.

~Erik~

i always look at posts like this when i hear about mythical horsepower numbers...

http://subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4086&highlight=nitrous

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28367&highlight=guys

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31047&highlight=dyno

WJM had some good dyno sheets a few years ago, but all the attachments are gone, but basicaly its hard to make hp with any of these older engines, even with nitrous and turbos.