Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carbed ea82 starts but dies

too cold for proper grammer. i can use starting fluid or pour gas down the carb and then start it, it will idle rough at like 300rpm for a few moments and die, or i can floor it and it will rev up (i let off at 4K since its cold) but as soon as i let off the gas it dies, will not respond further to throttle. i thoughyt the fuel filter was clogged, but i broke it open and it looked fine, replaced it with a new one. new filter isn't filling with gas, is the fue l pump in the tank? oh this bothers me it's so cold out oh yeah and ive been awake for 25 hours yay

come on global warming, hurry up!

The fuel pum is rightin front of the rear suspension crossmember on the passenger side, really easy to get to, just unbolt the guard plate and it's right there, really easy to change. If replacing the fuel pump is the problem, make sure the accelerator pump on the carb is working, I had a similar problem on my car.

-Bill

in case its not fuel related check your spark plug cables, rotor, and cap. if they havent been replaced in a loooooooooong time then thats prolly da problem. the voice of experience tells u this. i had that happen about 50mi from home in steep hiway climbing to get home. got home took about a week to figure out but it was wat i mentioned above. hey engine stalled going down hill and kept stalling at every stop on wat i think was 3 cyl only and climbing steep hills too :eek: but it got the family home safe and sound ,it what makes a subaru, a subaru. :banana:

too cold for proper grammer. i can use starting fluid or pour gas down the carb and then start it, it will idle rough at like 300rpm for a few moments and die, or i can floor it and it will rev up (i let off at 4K since its cold) but as soon as i let off the gas it dies, will not respond further to throttle. i thoughyt the fuel filter was clogged, but i broke it open and it looked fine, replaced it with a new one. new filter isn't filling with gas, is the fue l pump in the tank? oh this bothers me it's so cold out oh yeah and ive been awake for 25 hours yay

yes, check accelorator pump, (look inside carb while pumping to look for fuel spray or drops, if present fuel delivery is good) like stated earlier it could be the fuel pump, or crap inside the tank blocking delivery even to the fuel filter although this does seem unlikely as it has never happened to me.

also remember to check your electrical ignition system. disty, pick-ups, coil, wires, plugs, get a timing light and check for spark, if it's running there is spark duh, check for spark specifically when not running or after it dies. could be some kinda freaky electrical irregularity.:horse:

• 2 weeks later...
Oh yeah! Got her running today. Turns out the original fuel pump was fine. I bypassed the "kill your car at random time module" and threw some gas in there and off she went!

By this you mean the "rev sensor" or "fuel pump control unit"? the black box with the Mitsubishi 3 diamonds and a 6 pole plug? Bolted above the hood release bracket? Those thing can cause mucho trouble.

A bit unsafe to bypass though. In a crash you're fuel pump would still be running.

By this you mean the "rev sensor" or "fuel pump control unit"? the black box with the Mitsubishi 3 diamonds and a 6 pole plug? Bolted above the hood release bracket? Those thing can cause mucho trouble.

A bit unsafe to bypass though. In a crash you're fuel pump would still be running.

yeah but your needle and seat would hold the pressure, and you have a return line, and a charcoal canister on the carb vent tube.

I did obtain one of those Mitsubishi star things from Matt, he told me it was a fuel pump from a Gen 1. The star confused me but I guess that is original equiptment? Basicalliy I ran a wire to a 15A fuse, then a switch to the original fuel pump. I never knew where the disabler thing was.