Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reluctor removal help

Ok guys, who knows how to remove a reluctor on the ea81. I believe it prys right off but I don't want to hurt anything especially the distributor. These parts are getting hard to find now. I found a distributor pick up for around 80$ and to replace the pick up the reluctor removal is neccessary.

so any advice would be nice........also there seems to be a pin going down from top of reluctor.........what is that pins purpose? will it shear when reluctor is removed? or do I need to get a new one to reinstall the same old reluctor?

I agree, the parts are getting hard to find..

When you guys need parts, post here to the board - we out here on the west coast are still hip deep in EA81's - I can get half a dozen distributors any day of the week for about $25 each at my local yards. Generally that's a trip to just ONE yard. I would estimate that at any one time there's probably in excess of several dozen availible locally to me at around $20 to $50 range, in various yards.

You just have to ask.

GD

I know, I will keep that in mind.. I have been ripping parts out to stockpile things like calipers, etc, from a 'u-wrench it' type place where the prices are great..

I will remember you west coast dudes for harder to find parts that are needed.

thanks!

When you guys need parts, post here to the board - we out here on the west coast are still hip deep in EA81's - I can get half a dozen distributors any day of the week for about $25 each at my local yards. Generally that's a trip to just ONE yard. I would estimate that at any one time there's probably in excess of several dozen availible locally to me at around $20 to $50 range, in various yards.

You just have to ask.

GD

Sure - I'll check my parts stock tommorow.

Also, do you want it rebuilt? I have an excelent rebuilder local to me that can do the bushings and the vacuum advance for around $50 to $75.

You can also use the Nippon (2WD) distributor if you change to the ND coil as well. I personally like them better as the cap is rotated about 1/8th of a turn as compared to the Hitachi which makes the fitment with a Weber electric choke easier. They also run a slightly hotter coil than the Hitachi so they will jump a little bit larger spark gap and tend to run a bit smoother in my experience.

If you go with the Nippon you can then use the Hitachi drive gear for an SPFI conversion and get the REALLY nice Hitachi FI distributor in there. They have roller pin bearings for the shafts and I've seen them with 250k+ and NO shaft play. Plus they are entirely electronic using an optical pickup that is dead reliable. See my SPFI conversion page:

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/EA81_SPFI.html

GD

you are a boss. can I get all the neccessary parts from you to do this spfi conversion? can you work me up an inventory price. I am east coast (roanoke va) and I would consider doing this swap if reasonable. I personally LOVE FI. This is not NEEDED, but dang, it would be cool and a neat experience. You seem like a wealth of knowledge :D

you are a boss. can I get all the neccessary parts from you to do this spfi conversion? can you work me up an inventory price. I am east coast (roanoke va) and I would consider doing this swap if reasonable. I personally LOVE FI. This is not NEEDED, but dang, it would be cool and a neat experience. You seem like a wealth of knowledge :D

Maybe - keep bugging me about it and when I can get out to the yards (weather is teh suck right now, and time is at a premium) I can grab up what you need. My parts stash is totally in disorder right now but I do have a couple of manifolds and other misc. parts. I am going to have to sort through stuff.

GD

GD, what would you charge me to pick up a couple of distys for my Brat, with good vacuum advance? There are no Soobies around here in the junk yards.

Good vacuum advance is hard. Further I can't gaurantee they will last any time at all. Most are dead or almost so by now. Distributors I can get - good vacuum advances..... no one can get.

As I said I can have the vac can's rebuilt - the cost is around $30 or so. Add to that the cost of the distributor, and time to get it, take it to the rebuilder, ship, etc and you are probably looking at $100 or so for one, and maybe $160 for two, $220 for three, etc. If you also want the bushings done it's around another $50 per unit from the rebuilder. But $100 for a rebuilt distributor isn't bad considering the cost from other sources.

GD