Ultimate Subaru Message Board

check engine light

Well, first of all, what is the code? (hook some wires together under the hood, then look a the blinking light on the ECU under the dash -- there's direction on that somewhere on here)

Second... mine has been on for a year and half, and I passed emissions in Boulder just fine last spring -- less than a quarter of the allowed levels. So, whatever the oxygen sensor is(n't) doing, it seems to still be running okay... MPG is still around 28 to 30 too.

They can't fail you for the check engine light any more I think... people complained that people could pass on the highway monitoring stations without even seeing the light so I think they stopped looking at that.

Z

When I was living out there, I passed the e-test with the check engine light on in my old toyota truck. I don't know if they changed the rules or not, been three years ago, but the light being on didn't matter then.

Here in NC in certain countys, on 96 or newer, they do a obd test. Any codes come up you fail and have 9 days to fix the problem.

Optimator,

Check this link out, at the very bottom of the page is a copy of a factory service manual, you'll need adobe reader to open it up. But page 72 is dedicated completely to the Purge Solenoid fault, and has a bunch of tests to run in order to find the problem. I think it will definately help you out!

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/EA81_SPFI.html

I read several old threads so I'm making an attempt to learn this myself, but correct me if I misunderstood this.

It appears I can buy this resistor at a Radio Shack. I would then cut the electrical wires close to the solenoid, solder the resistor between the two wires, and maybe use tubing that shrinks upon heating.

I read several old threads so I'm making an attempt to learn this myself, but correct me if I misunderstood this.

It appears I can buy this resistor at a Radio Shack. I would then cut the electrical wires close to the solenoid, solder the resistor between the two wires, and maybe use tubing that shrinks upon heating.

You've basically got it. But you may not want to cut the wire.I would use an extra little length of wire, and a few spade sonnector and make the Reistor "plug in" to where the solenoid was. That way, if for some crazy reason they spot it, and make you get it replaced, the orignal wire loom is still intact, and a new solenoid could be plugged right in.

When I was looking for this solenoid (which I think I found, but not entirely sure), I noticed the evap canister has connections for 4 hoses but there are only 3 hoses connected to it. One just has a cap on it. Is that normal? Or should there need to be a hose there?