Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL wgn frnt exhaust?

Snagging a used y-pipe from a junkyard would probably be your cheapest option, either that or pick one up from someone on the board

J-yards cannot sell used y-pipes, as they contain a Catalytic converter. It is illegal to sell or install a used cat on any car, in any state.

I was afraid of that, but was hoping that there might exist a manufacturer out there with a reasonably priced replacement without the cat so that the law abiding customer :) who wants a different cat that could be installed after the Y would have more choices.

The reason I thought one might exist is that for the wife's cherokee there exists a reasonably priced after market exhaust manifold to replace the over priced factory manifold, which cracks way too soon and has to be replaced. It's similar in that it is steel tubes welded together instead of cast. Oh well, I guess there aren't enough subarus with same exhausts out there to create a profitable enough market for it, unlike the cherokee.

Thank you for the input.

EZ

Y pipes do come up on ebay from time to time. Ussually "bosal" brand, but it includes the cat. Or a good exhaust shop can weld new pipe onto you're existing CAT. Or they could weld a new y pipe and install a new, genereic straight through cat behind that.

i had a local exhaust service station custom bend y pipes, 30 bucks for two, and i welded them to my cat, the local junkyard sold me a used cat and wrote "for scrap purposes only, not to be installed" most junkyards now are cutting the cats off before they put it out for bone'ing because platenium is up to close to $1400 an ounce ,you can get 35 bucks for a small converter now

Oh well, I guess there aren't enough subarus with same exhausts out there to create a profitable enough market for it, unlike the cherokee.

Thank you for the input.

EZ

no, more like the stock subaru one isn't prone to failure like the cherokee is.

and, the vast majority of the people putting any money into a power build on a subaru, has a turbo....which means different exhaust.

magnaflow builds a y pipe w/hi flow cat . . . do a search by car on their page. i paid about 130 for mine. i do have the stock y pipe sittin in my garage right now for an 87 gl wagon, it's all yours if you want.

chris

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out for future use as I took the wagon to my favorite exhaust shop and he was able to just replace the flex joint for a c note + sam's share, and I thought it was toast. hoeyvae!

Wished I'd seen your post b4 I spent the money, that's if you live anywhere close.