Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head gasket question

Originally they where different gaskets. IIRC, Turbo used a fully silicon coated gasket, and non turbo a more conventional graphite laminate. Old stock gasket made to the early specifications should be used in the correct application.

However the newly manufactured gaskets from subaru and nearly all aftermarkets are an improved graphite laminate that replaces both. Most people on the board here say OEM or Fel-pro only. I've used other, cheaper brands that have lasted well, BUT, I re-torque mine after a hot run and cool down. Most people don't re-torque.

That was really an experiment too, using the cheapo-s. If you got the money, and don't want to worry, by all means use the OEM. I would only want to install OEM or Fel-pro for a customer job I had to garauntee.

thanks for your help i will use fel pro's. What should i torque them too. And what any other advice on what to replace or reseal while my motor is out. Also what is the gasket called that is in between the head and the cam. I can't find where to get those at, im pretty sure they are not the valve cover gasket. I can find those all over websites.

Thanks, Jason

torque procedures are hear...it's a multi-step process, not a one time torque.

the cam carriers (between the cam and head) are not sealed by any pre-made or bought gasket. use Anaerobic or RTV sealant from a bottle. Many use RTV because it's easy and cheap. I prefer Anaerobic as it does not run the risk of coagulating in the oil supply. RTV won't if you apply it properly and don't over do it.