Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 Brat: What's he worth?

Hi everyone,

I have an 85 Brat that I will need to sell since I picked up the 86 hatch. I would love to keep both, but I just don't have the space to do that.

Brown w/ white snowflake rims and good Kumho rubber (just bought the tires six months ago). The tan interior is shot, but I have all of the components, including an uncracked dash, to make the inside VERY nice as there were plans to restore it. All guages in the cluster currently work.

Body is good, and all 4 mudflaps are in tact. It does have some rust that is starting to eat its way into the nooks around the fenders. Rust has also made its way in the usual place in the rear fenders. I have knocked the majority of the rot out and coated it with black paint and undercoating. The worst of the rust is on the passenger door, but I have a door to replace it with. The unibody frame is sound and has no rust. It also has a white topper.

The motor always starts and idles and has no leaks. It ran very strong when I picked it up but has since started bucking and then stalls out. It starts right back up again, revs, but again bucks and stalls out once you start to drive it. I am guessing a rebuild of the Hitachi would fix it (float maybe).

My question is, what is the Brat is worth given the above info? I will try to get some pictures up tonight.

its funny, you would think a hatch and a brat in similar condition would go for the same price. i even like the hatch more than the brat, but for some reason, if its a brat, its automaticaly $1000 or more above the hatch, or similar ea81 car.

i pay 100-300 for hatchbacks in pretty good condition, but have never ran across a brat for under 1500 in rough shape. 7 years ago i bought a brat for 450 and it was on its last leg(minnesota car).

basicaly a brat is worth its weight in gold to some people... if you were in my state id tell you 200 bucks and come get it, but im sure its worth a few thousand if theres no bad rust.

Pictures will help in this case. If it is 100% rust free (and i mean RUST FREE) and all the body panels match. You can expect to see at least $2000 in todays e-bay market.

If it runs great and has less than 100,000 miles add another $750-$1000.

If you have had it garaged for the past 20 years add another $3000.

If its a bucket, dont expect any more than an average EA81. >$1000

-Brian

Pictures will help in this case. If it is 100% rust free (and i mean RUST FREE) and all the body panels match.

If its a bucket, dont expect any more than an average EA81. >$1000

-Brian

Yeah, I will definitely get some pictures tonight. It isn't "RUST FREE", but it isn't a bucket either.

I am not looking to "get rich" off the little guy. I just want to price him fairly for someone that will take care of it and have fun restoring it like I planned to do.