Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SUGGESTIONS??? On where to start looking?

RONAN

This is on my 93 EA82 WAGON.

I`ve noticed when running my heater blower, that the air comes out at normal velocity for a couple of seconds and then it slows considerably down like a damper or something is partially closing or restricting? I can turn it off and then back on and it`s always the same thing. Could it be a vacuum leak? I also notice that at times while at highway speed and accelerating or climbing hills, the damper will switch from floor heat to Bi-level or when it`s in defrost, it also switchs over to Bi-level and then after acceleration it will always go back to normal. This is somewhat annoying and with winter upon us, wifey is complaining. So, since I`m on vacation for the rest of the year, I`ve got time on my hands to take care of this annoyance.

I`m open to suggestions and any past experiences on this subject before I go out there and stand on my head this weekend...

RONAN asks " On where to start looking?"

Start looking under the hood, beside

the spare tire on the pass. side.

Sitting on the "shelf" should be a white cannister.

This is the vacuum reservoir. It has a check valve to retain

vacuum under the low vacuum conditions you mention.

Check that the check valve is "checking"

Follow the line leading to the driver's side looking for

cracks or breaks in this line.

IF you have 4wd it will lead to two solenoids in front of the wiper motor.

There could be a leak at the connection to these solenoids.

The line then goes inside the cockpit to the HVAC control panel.

Listen for leaks under the dash while the engine is idling.

Hope this helps.

Thanxxx SKIP, FOR THE suggestions on where to start. Especially the checkvalve.

WHOA, :eek: The brain just went into warp speed. I changed out my push button tranny for a D/R 5spd, 2 yrs ago and plugged off the line to the tranny solenoid. HMMMM, I think I`ll start there first.

I'm going to say you've got a bad check valve before the canister. When you accelerate, Vacuum actually drops once the rpms pic up. Without a Check valve, the vac in the canister is just bleeding off. take it off, and try blowing through it both ways. Should only work one way. Then don't forget to install it so that it can be "pulled" through by vaccum.

I can offer one other cold weather Subaru trick that helped get me through Wisconsin winters.

Open the glovebox. Remove all the crap. Now twist the box slighlty, and you will see that you can wiggle the stops out of little notches on each side, and get the box to open all the way. Now you are looking into the dash. On the far right, is the box that holds the blower fan and the intake flapper. You should be able to find a thin black plastic tube that carry Vacuum to the intake actautor. Disconnect that tube, and plug it. This way that intake door will stay closed when you select a function.

Now all the air that you're heater heats will be pulled form the passenger floor area, instead of -5 degree air from outside.

DAMN RAIN!!!

Were in the extreme drought area region for the U.S this year -17" and now mother nature decides to make it up. Been raining for the last 4 days and now there calling for 3" to 6" of snow.

sooner or later I will get out and chase down that suspected vac leak.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, finally a great day to troubleshoot my demise.

I traced out all the vac lines and could`nt find any issues. Now I`m getting frustrated.

I notice while starting and turning off the engine and standing on my head so that I`m down there next to the blower motor it seems that instead of hearing the dampers close off, that the blower motor seems to slow down instead. I rap on the end of the blower motor and the damn thing takes off blowing like it never has before???

I turned off the engine and back on repeatedly and cycled through the different vent functions and it`s still blowing like new.

I love the results but don`t know what the fix? was.

Now I`m concerned that it`s a sign of a blower replacement in the near future...RONAN