Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When does the misfire happen? On acceleration, or at highway speed? Can your feel the misfire when the CEL illuminates?

Always start with the basics.

NGK plugs and OEM wires is the place to start. If the fuel filter and/or air filter haven't been changed in the last 30k miles, they needs to be replace. If that doesn't help................

Have the valves ever been adjusted? Has there ever been any major engine work done?

Valve adjustment should be preformed every 105k miles, or anytime the cylinder heads have been R&R'ed.

Tight valves will cause a misfire. And if not corrected, lead to burnt valves and the need for a valve job.

• 4 weeks later...
My CEL will turn off and then at about 70mph it will come on again. There is no noticible change in how the car is running at speed, but the idle is rough at stop lights. I have not changed anything, just been trying to notice the variables.

Mtnrider9800,

You have the '99 OBW 120 some thousand miles correct?

You don't have a misfire or hesitation accelerating from a stop. On Subarus, secondary brake down in the ignition is most noticable under highest engine load (accelerating form a stop usually). Still, if plugs are not NGK, and wires are not Genuine Subaru, if it were my car I woud change them.

CEL illuminates at ~70mph, misfire #4 code stored. But engine seems to run fine. I my experiance this is a mechanical problem in the valve train. Not engough valve lash clearance. Exhaust valves hanging up in the guides. If the exhasut valves are hanging in the guides, the problem would come and go, and not nessasarly cause a rough idle.

At idle engine runs rough. Can be many things, but in context with the misfire @ 70mph.......................

Tight valves

If the valves are tight, an ajustment might take car of the problem, depending on how much the car has been driven with the vlaves not properly sealing.

Mtnrider9800,

You have the '99 OBW 120 some thousand miles correct?

You don't have a misfire or hesitation accelerating from a stop. On Subarus, secondary brake down in the ignition is most noticable under highest engine load (accelerating form a stop usually). Still, if plugs are not NGK, and wires are not Genuine Subaru, if it were my car I woud change them.

CEL illuminates at ~70mph, misfire #4 code stored. But engine seems to run fine. I my experiance this is a mechanical problem in the valve train. Not engough valve lash clearance. Exhaust valves hanging up in the guides. If the exhasut valves are hanging in the guides, the problem would come and go, and not nessasarly cause a rough idle.

At idle engine runs rough. Can be many things, but in context with the misfire @ 70mph.......................

Tight valves

If the valves are tight, an ajustment might take car of the problem, depending on how much the car has been driven with the vlaves not properly sealing.

Is there a good place online to purchase the plugs and wires, or should I go to the local dealer?