Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 MPFI wiring

hey i hope im in the right category, im looking to find out what i can do without from the following list? the engine is in a dune buggy and mated to vw manual gearbox. just after the basic engine running components, none of the accessory bs. just tell me what number(s) i can remove from the loom. cheers!

1988 EA82 turbo 4-plug ecu pinout

1. check connector

2. air flow meter signal

3. purge control solenoid

4. neutral switch

5. air flow meter ground

6. fuel pump relay

7. crank angle sensor power

8. crank angle sensor reference

9. water temp sensor

10. ground

11. ---

12. air flow meter power

13. duty solenoid (waste gate control)

14. inhibitor switch

15. inhibitor switch

16. throttle sensor ground

17. crank angle sensor position

18. ---

19. ignition switch signal

20. ground

21. throttle sensor power supply

22. throttle sensor signal

23. air conditioner signal

24. starter signal

25. idle switch signal

26. ---

27. control unit power input

28. identification of specifications

29. car speed sensor

30. identification of AT

31. ---

32. test mode connector

33. read-memory connector

34. ---

35. control unit power input

36. knock sensor

37. ignition output power transistor

38. air flow meter burn-off output

39. self-shutoff output

40. ECS lamp output

41. EGR solenoid

42. kick down relay (3AT)

43. ignition output power transistor

44. check connector

45. check connector

46. check connector

47. check connector

48. O2 sensor

49. fuel injector 1

50. fuel injector 2

51. fuel injector 3

52. fuel injector 4

53. ---

54. ---

55. fuel pump control

56. ground

57. ground

58. ---

59. A/C cut relay (3AT)

60. ground

61. ground

62. power input

63. ---

You can get rid of some of the AT (automatic) related wires if you use a manual ECU.

If you can live with some codes, and a CEL that's on most of the time some of the others can go without causing "limp" mode, but there's very few overall, and having a functioning CEL is more than worth the few extra wires to be run.

Since you are dealing with a self-diagnostic ECU you really can't remove anything without it complaining about it, and get it to throw enough codes are you are bound to hit some sort of default map for ignition or fuel. Sadly there is no way to know how many or which ones could be safely disconnected without causing a performance issue as we have no way of looking inside the ECU.

If it was me I would be using MegaSquirt. But that's me.

GD

Fusible links are in a black box fed directly off the battery. They are in the engine bay - just follow the smaller positive line from the battery terminal and you will find them.

They are just "wires" of specific and very precise qualities that will burn through at a specific amperage. The wire in them is covered by a cloth material that is colored - green, black, red, etc. depending on their rating. They are flexible and have female blade terminals on each end. About 3" long overall.

A fuse would work as well if it's the same rating as the link. They are fairly high ratings though.

GD

i always just leave the whole passenger side of the harness in one piece and splice the few wires you need at the dash crossover connector. i've wanted to try to cut it down, so it looks nicer, but i always just leave it all together and tuck it away.

i guess if you were trying to run the whole harness from the car it would be huge though. do you plan on wiring in your own fuses, and power? if so you only need half of that ten mile tangle.

found fusebox, found green fusible link :grin: yea its only a small sandrail-style buggy so not a lot of room to put it really, but ive gone thru the loom and taken out most of the accessory wires, left in all the ecu ones and are left with a few i am unsure of, maybe someone here can help...

here are the wires i am left with that dont seem to show up on the ecu pinout.

1. one of the two BLACK/WHITE wires out of the FUEL RELAY near ecu. the one that goes to the ecu is there, but where is the other one meant to go?

2. BLACK wire out of the IGNITION RELAY near ecu. where does that one go? it isn't the one that goes to the engine.

3. YELLOW wire out of the COIL. on the wiring diagram it says it goes to I.P, what/where is I.P?

4. WHITE/BLACK wire from GREEN FUSIBLE LINK / POSITIVE (+) BATTERY TERMINAL. where is that meant to end up?

5. and finally a YELLOW/BLACK wire, a BLACK/RED wire and a YELLOW/GREEN wire all coming out of the BLACK engine loom plug (near alternator). where are they meant to end up?

any help would be mint as i have spent hours on it and these have me stumped :confused: