Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake Rotor Upgrades...Some Questions.

Since installing PBR/Axxis Ultimate brake pads on my Subie a while back, I've experienced nothing but superb braking....excellent performance all the way around.

Since these pads ARE fairly abrasive, I'll likely need to replace the front rotors at some point (and, of course, the Subaru stock rotors are not of the highest quality, anyway; I understand that they are of fairly soft metal).

I'd like to upgrade to either drilled or slotted rotors, Brembos for example.

Here are some questions:

1) Why would one choose one over the other?, i.e., a drilled over a slotted, or visa versa.

2) If I went to a larger diameter rotor, I'd also have to go to a different caliper as well, am I right?

3) What other brand rotors, that make Subaru drilled and slotted, are good....Brembos, I hear, are good but what are some other quality manufacturers?

Personally I would get a pair of cross drilled rotors...not only do they help with getting rid of heat they also dissipate any water that happens to get in between the pads and rotor. I have been looking for a while to upgrade my brakes... I have been looking at AP, Wilwood and Hawk Performance...just my two sense.

what kind of driving are you using these for? racing quality brakes are not good for daily driving and daily driving brakes are not good for racing. from what i've gathered drilled and slotted rotors are very minimal in adding anything significant to your actual braking unless you're on a track. the better upgrade option might be larger brakes. my knowledge of performance brakes is limited and i did a bunch of asking around and reading and that's the conclusion i came to. larger brakes will give you far better results than having drilled verses not drilled rotors. i have since bought a few sets of larger brakes.

People really need to stop it with the outgassing claim. It doesn't happen. It has not happened for 50 years.

Holes do not improve cooling. All they do is reduce rotor mass (a bad thing unless it's 2-piece), and the holes, if anything, will slow down the flow out of the vanes. Then you add in the stress concentrations.

Slots: They look kind of cool and make neato sounds. There is a possibility they can help keep the pad surface clean but I wouldn't spend the extra money.

Slotted/drilled/magic rotors will do nothing to actually improve braking. Braking ability is much more dependent on the TIRES. Better pads, fresh fluid, and SS lines will make the brakes feel better and hold up to higher temps.

A blank parts store rotor, as long as it is straight, is all you need.

I just put on a set of slotted rotors and hawk hps pads a couple of months ago. All I can say is...nice. In the heavy rain on the highway, there isn't that second to two of no brakes. The brakes are instant. In day to day driving there is no more noise. If you hammer the brakes hard, yes, there is a low groaning noise. On a familiar stretch of road, the brakes do stop the car faster. I have power slot rear rotors and DBA slotted front rotors. So the combo of Hawk Hps and Slotted Rotors with a brake fluid flush (Ate super blue), have helped braking performance for me.