Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 gl value

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well its up to you if you put 7000 into it thats how much its worth to you but it dosent matter what a book says unles your a subaru person people dont realize the value of thes cars andthe not so value i saw a guy trying to get 3000 out of a 1984 wagon:eek: and it was all rundown and rusty. .

When you put that much money in an older car, make sure that you keep all of the receipts and take pictures. If your car is in an accident, the insurance company (yours or the other guys) will total the car out at kbb prices. Your receipts can be added on to that price. Unfortunately, the time that you put in, is not included. A mechanic's time can be included. Routine maintenance is, also, not included, but those receipts go toward proving that the car was well maintained. The only other thing that you can do, that I know of, is to get the car appraised. That's usually done by recognized car clubs. You could also enter it in some car shows. I know all of this because I ended up suing over an old TR4 that I had restored. It was totaled in a rear end collision and the insurance company offered me $500. We ended up in court with pictures and receipts and the judge awarded $4000. He said that he felt it was probably worth more and could have awarded more if I had an appraisal. Hope that helps.

Virtually worthless as cars go.

It's worth what someone will give you for it. And there's no one here that's looking to spend that kind of money on a GL. If I had $7,000 to blow I still wouldn't want it. Especially not a wagon body. Maybe an STi swapped RX body with almost no miles on it..... probably not even then.

For $7,000 you could get into a lot of vehicles that are insanely nicer than a 90 HP station wagon. A nice late 90's Audi for example - complete with the Bose 8 speaker system, leather (heated), AWD, etc, etc.

If you polish that turd too much it will melt. You'll be sorry you blew all that coin on that thing in a few years kid....

GD

GeneralDisorder-Virtually worthless as cars go.

It's worth what someone will give you for it. And there's no one here that's looking to spend that kind of money on a GL. If I had $7,000 to blow I still wouldn't want it. Especially not a wagon body. Maybe an STi swapped RX body with almost no miles on it..... probably not even then.

For $7,000 you could get into a lot of vehicles that are insanely nicer than a 90 HP station wagon. A nice late 90's Audi for example - complete with the Bose 8 speaker system, leather (heated), AWD, etc, etc.

If you polish that turd too much it will melt. You'll be sorry you blew all that coin on that thing in a few years kid....

FIRST OF ALL I AM NOT SORRY! I OWN A MULTI MILLION DOLLAR COMPANY 7000 DOES NOT MATTER TO ME.IF YOU READ MY PROFILE YOU WILL SEE I OWN AN 04 OUTBACK AS WELL. IT HAS HEATED LEATHER AND A CLARION SOUND SYSTEM (WAY BETTER THAN BOSE IF YOU ASK ME). I BOUGHT THE GL WHEN I WAS 15 WITH MY OWN MONEY, AND 2200 WAS ALOT TO ME BACK THEN.AND I HAVE DONE ALL THE UPGRADES MYSELF THATS WHY IT IS PRICELESS TO ME. I JUST WONDERD WHAT THE VALUE WAS FOR INSURANCE PURPASES.

You can yell all ya like, but it's not going to change the facts.

If you paid $2500 4 years ago, then you paid too much 4 years ago.

Whatever you're worth, it's too much. Give that money to someone that can invest it wisely and go back to sucking on fudgesicles kid.

Multi-million eh? And if this capitol is so liquid then why are you driving 4 year old Subaru's? And if it's internet based and you have so much CE knowledge then how is it that you haven't found the caps-lock yet?

:rolleyes:

GD

I still don't understand why the fact that he is 19 has to be pointed out by calling him a "kid". I don't know what kind of "kid" life you had GD, but you shouldn't be so rude.

It's people like you that drive away anyone that has a slight interest in something but maybe not all the "knowledge" of others. That's why this is called a forum...not an "Elite Subaru Master only club that kids aren't allowed in and any 'out there' idea is stupid and don't post it because you're age will invalidate ANYTHING that you ask or say."

Virtually worthless as cars go.

GD

By you saying "Virtually worthless" it could be taken as "your time and effort is worthless".

You can yell all ya like, but it's not going to change the facts.

If you paid $2500 4 years ago, then you paid too much 4 years ago.

Whatever you're worth, it's too much. Give that money to someone that can invest it wisely and go back to sucking on fudgesicles kid.

Multi-million eh? And if this capitol is so liquid then why are you driving 4 year old Subaru's? And if it's internet based and you have so much CE knowledge then how is it that you haven't found the caps-lock yet?

:rolleyes:

GD

This kind of criticism doesn't get anything done or make anyone happy. I know better than to drop $7,000 into any car, but that's me. If someone has the money and time to do what ever they want to a car, let them be.

Here's a definition of constructive critcism:

Constructive criticism (often shortened to 'CC' or 'concrit') is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others, usually involving both positive and negative comments, in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one. ...

Once you understand that, critique my post.

My response to the original post:

I think it's cool that you put the time and dedication into a vehicle, maybe you should keep it for yourself to show for your efforts. Other people may not want to pay that kind of money for a car, but, with the care that you have put into, it should show and maybe you can keep the car for years to come.

If I had a ton of disposable income, I would probably very seriously consider building up an old gl into the ultimate "4x4 sleeper", just because I love tha soob.

As for the original question, the answer is simple: It is worth what someone will give you for it. If that someone is the insurance company, you'll need every shred of documentation you can dig up to prove to them the value you want to assign it. Reciepts and values of all mods, and appraisals from multiple sources are your friend here. If you cover your bases that way, you'll maximize your "totalled" coverage from the insurance.

As for "for sale by owner" value, again it is going to be whatever someone is willing to give you for it. Unless you just happen to find the right buyer at precisely the right time, you probably won't be able to sell it for more than a third of what you have into it. But it sounds like you're building it as a labor of love anyway, so I'm betting (hoping) you'll be keeping it.

Johnson']I still don't understand why the fact that he is 19 has to be pointed out by calling him a "kid". I don't know what kind of "kid" life you had GD' date=' but you shouldn't be so rude.[/quote']

I don't sugar coat the truth.... so what else is new? Yawn....

Johnson']It's people like you that drive away anyone that has a slight interest in something but maybe not all the "knowledge" of others. That's why this is called a forum...not an "Elite Subaru Master only club that kids aren't allowed in and any 'out there' idea is stupid and don't post it because you're age will invalidate ANYTHING that you ask or say."

He's been here for 3 years' date=' has 33 posts, and wants us to make him feel warm and fuzzy about polishing his turd. He hasn't contributed anything that I'm aware of in that time to earn a rimjob from me or anyone else here..... Next....

Johnson']By you saying "Virtually worthless" it could be taken as "your time and effort is worthless".

Hopefully.

This kind of criticism doesn't get anything done or make anyone happy. I know better than to drop $7' date='000 into any car, but that's me. If someone has the money and time to do what ever they want to a car, let them be.[/quote']

So we should just let stupidity reign then eh? I suppose it's ok with you if we let this kind of mentality spend our tax money then?

GD

So we should just let stupidity reign then eh? I suppose it's ok with you if we let this kind of mentality spend our tax money then?

GD

So who decides what's stupid? And how does he spending $7000 on a car affect my tax money? If anything it helps the economy. Basic economics...you save your money, companies aren't getting it, companies not getting any money don't make a taxable profit...no taxable profit means no money for the government. Spend your money, you buy products, products that are made by employess who make wages, wages that are taxed, the company makes money on the product, which is taxed. The more invidual sources the government can tax, the less each individual is taxed.

So, if anything, he helps the economy and makes less taxes for me.

So, I do agree with "this kind of mentality"

I'm gonna have to agree with GD here...

Though I LOVE my coupe, I'd never sink $7,000 into it. $2,000 maybe, but never past that. You must have one damn damn nice wagon if you put that much into it...

Plus, if you own a multi million dollar company.... whats the use of even caring whether that car got crashed or vandalized or what not? I mean come on, multi millionaire...

So, I do agree with "this kind of mentality"

You entirely missed my point, but it could be that it's over your head.

Government spending is similar to his spending in that it's mostly wasteful, and the money could often be better spent by just leaving it in the hands of the people to begin with. THEY will spend it on the open market how they see fit.

The correlation is that he would do well in (today's) government because he knows how to waste money.

Sure he's giving a pittance back to the community through buying stuff, but that's true of nearly all spending. The benchmark of proper spending is how MUCH you get for that buck, not that you got SOMETHING. Paying too much for something distributes wealth unevenly, and goes against the fundamentals of capitalism. Being dollar wise, skeptical, and taking a few steps back once in a while to see the big picture are halmarks of good investors.

GD

You entirely missed my point, but it could be that it's over your head.

Government spending is similar to his spending in that it's mostly wasteful, and the money could often be better spent by just leaving it in the hands of the people to begin with. THEY will spend it on the open market how they see fit.

The correlation is that he would do well in (today's) government because he knows how to waste money.

Sure he's giving a pittance back to the community through buying stuff, but that's true of nearly all spending. The benchmark of proper spending is how MUCH you get for that buck, not that you got SOMETHING. Paying too much for something distributes wealth unevenly, and goes against the fundamentals of capitalism. Being dollar wise, skeptical, and taking a few steps back once in a while to see the big picture are halmarks of good investors.

GD

Yeah, must be over my head that you somehow related someone's Subaru to the U.S. government.

I do get your point.

Oh yeah, as for stupid people, I like them, they're a good chunk of why there's a Fire/EMS service. (My occupation.)

What's stupid is the fact that I bought a '98 Outback Limited for $6,000 and then the HGs went out on me a month later. Must've been the hippies(prior owners) not taking care of it.

I don't sugar coat the truth.... so what else is new? Yawn....

He's been here for 3 years, has 33 posts, and wants us to make him feel warm and fuzzy about polishing his turd. He hasn't contributed anything that I'm aware of in that time to earn a rimjob from me or anyone else here..... Next....

Hopefully.

GD

(cant believe I am dipping into this)

Amen. Anyone with a few brain cells can tell that GD specifically places himself fairly radically on anything he cares to speak out on, and he does it well.

Money was spent that will not be recovered through sale; many would regard that as money "wasted" but it is certainly easy to consider it spent on an object worth it in your eyes. If the OPs question was for an accurate value, then the answer (plain and simple) is not "you spent too much money" but rather, "You need to have it professionally appraised and insured at that value." GD obviously doesn't care for the idea of sending good money after bad, and structured his response accordingly; no reason to get panties in wads over it on any part.

As for the response from the OP: turn your sensitivity level down a notch! If you are unhappy hearing the answers you got to your question, then maybe you could have phrased that question better.. something along the lines of, "How do i avoid getting hosed by my insurance company (in the event I actually NEED my policy) on this car into which I dumped more money than it is 'worth?'" However, the nature of your Capital reaction leads me to believe that maybe you hadn't thought the issue through so thoroughly. Please don't over react so negatively in the future towards people who are speaking the truth. Bluntness can be difficult to accept, but its the plainest and truest form of honesty.

Johnson']Oh yeah' date=' as for stupid people, I like them, they're a good chunk of why there's a Fire/EMS service. (My occupation.)[/quote']

Very cogent.....

On the other hand if everyone was a MENSA candidate, we would most certainly have robots for that.....

But I suppose someone has to watch NASCAR and Wrestling.

Back in the real world though your occupation is very much appreciated. By me even! I was "combat lifesaver" certified myself in fact..... but I see no reason to suppose most Fire/EMS folks are stupid. Maybe a bit crazy..... some people like cheap thrills on a daily basis. Not so much for me.

GD

By me even! I was "combat lifesaver" certified myself in fact..... but I see no reason to suppose most Fire/EMS folks are stupid. Maybe a bit crazy..... some people like cheap thrills on a daily basis. Not so much for me.

GD

Maybe we should have this moved to off-topic. It's not about thrills. It's about being there when people are in their most need. People say that Firefighters and EMTs are sadistic because they sit there and hope for bad things to happen to people so they can respond. We know that bad things are going to happen to people and we want to be there for them when it happens.

A Paramedic has to get an Associates degree( I know it's not a very high degree) on top of the EMS classes to be a Paramedic, in Oregon and then they have to continuously train in order to keep their Certification. Take that into account, the thrills aren't so cheap, especially when someone or an EMT/Firefighter dies.

They tried getting me to enlist to be a "Combat Medic" and I would have, but they said my prior history of asthma wouldn't allow me to join.

gl's even beat up still go for 2000-3000 here (in Lake Tahoe). I did not pay too much.I left the cap on to show i was yelling! duh!! I own a company that sells DSL service. The 04 outback is the newest subaru I have I never said it was the newest car I had many of my company trucks are newer. just because I have money doesn't mean i have to drive a 09 bmw. I put money in my gl because I wanted to. it is speacial to me.and I dont have to explain myself to you gd.i am a good person and donate $ to many people.I think my 34 posts are better than 0.fact is my 88 "turd" gl is probly nicer than your best car! and i'm sure many real subaru lovers would do the same as me.as for me being a kid. what kind of a man are you judgeing a man you've never met? i invested money into it because it means somthing to me. and no i will not be selling it. i have had offers in the past and turned then down.

GD is a D O U C H E BAG, all there is too it. nothing wrong with anything the original poster did. Any one can be blunt and straight forward, but it is most helpful if it were stated in a positive way.

A car's value (that is on the market for sale) is between two people: what the seller would trade for it, and what the potential buyer would pay for it. right?

In this dudes case, he should have it appraised becuse it is not for sale, and it is unique.

There is no question to what it is worth to any of us. Everyone knows usmb members are poor hippies, or total nerds that dont like to spend money :lol:

many of my famly are/have been in the military and ems. i currently have 2 cousins in iraq 1 is a sargent.i don't think emts/firecrews want bad things to happen to people. it's not about cheap thrills. it's about saving lives. and i'm sure i'm not the only one willing/wanting to fix up a car that, to us seems like a turd but to them is special. ever see a show called pimp my ride? sure some just wanted a new car but some wanted their car made nice, beacause it meant something to them? I suppose if you(gd) hit the lottery tomarrow you would throw away every thing you own? I did not get my money easy. I was poor most my life.until about a year ago.the gl was a big deal to me when I got it. I had to work hard and save for 7 months to get it.without that car I might not be rich now. Cant you understand why the car is important to me, now?

I think you put into it what you want to. Lord knows people have told me not to put money into something. But the thing is that it ment something to him. What if one of your family members that was near and dear to you was dyeing. And the doctor said well there to far gone better just let them go its not worth it. The point is it is worth it to them.

If i had the money and that was the car that got me through the rough times i would do exactly what he did. Thats not to say that there wouldnt be a porsche parked next to it. But i would do it up with imprezna sti gear and make it something really neat.

Dont flame a guy because hes passionate about a car. Ive been hearing about the 73-77 monte carlos my whole life. Just because it means nothing to you or its not worth it doesnt mean its nothing to him.

Cant we all just get along.

Ben

Some people cannot understand the sentimental value of a car..to them its JUST a car.. I have had some very sentimental cars..one I recently let go of to a good home ( a 92 Loyale wagon) One of the others sits in my driveway with a dead battery ( my 88 XT6) Some thought I was crazy to dump the kind of money I have so far into a rotted out old XT6...that still needs a ton more...but the way I look at it is..Its my money I will spend it as I want.

GD is an opinionated a$$ ( look by his avatar..he even admits to it ;) ) But he also knows his stuff when something breaks.But his presentation needs some work.Usually I just ignore his comments like that.

Okay girls lets settle down.

Start from the beginning here:

I was wondering if anyone knows where to find the value of my gl besides kbb.

There really is nowhere. Actually, there is. Its called Craigslist and eBay. You will find KBB to be very generous in their estimates. Your car is probably going to net you 60% of what KBB sais its worth, unless it was garaged its entire life and has 40,000 miles on it.

You will find that a stock and as close to original car will usually get more money than a modified car. Your car isnt a classic, so you cant play that card either. To put it blunt, your car isnt worth 2 or 3,000. and its nowhere near the $7000 you claim to have put into it.

And I doubt they are "selling" in tahoe for $3000.

http://reno.craigslist.org/car/502347222.html

http://reno.craigslist.org/car/508733595.html

http://reno.craigslist.org/car/512284550.html

Granted none of these are babied. They dont have "MP3 stereo CD players" and whatever else you put into your car (what CAN you spend $7000 on anyhow???) But they do show the current market value for a EA82 WAgon, which is essentially what you have here.

Heck... even Legacy's and Impreza's arent even selling for $3000

http://reno.craigslist.org/car/510803141.html

http://reno.craigslist.org/car/510177010.html

http://reno.craigslist.org/car/501679351.html

So I'm sorry if you dont like what GD is saying, but you did ask a question and Im not sure what type of response you were looking for but this is the response you are getting. Just keep yourself happy and don't try to sell the car.

-Brian