Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EGR Solenoid/ Where to get?

Does anyone know a good place to buys parts online? 97 Subaru Outback 2.5l. I can get a EGR Solenoid from my local dealer for $85 but I think I can find a better deal online.

My check engine light (CEL) came on and Autozone said it was the EGR Valve. Since then we took it apart and cleaned out carbon-looks to be in good condition. pretty sure its the solenoid but wonder if a different code would have come up? Hmmm. any advice?

Welcome aboard the good ship USMB.

You say

"Hmmm. any advice?"

Yes, before throwing parts at it.

Break out the multimeter and

test the resistance of the EGR solenoid coils.

Should be ~ 35 ohms, if the meter shows infinity,

then

put into the search box "parts supplier"

1stsubaru.com is one of the more mentioned places

Sure hope this helps.

the EGR code refers to a malfunction of the EGR system, not necessarily of the valve. there are a number of things that can cause the EGR code. the EGR valve itself, the solenoid valve associated with it or the junk with vacuum hoses everywhere on the passengers side strut tower including the little inline round filter on one of the vacuum hoses. so i would test the EGR and the solenoid first before buying parts like Skip said. i had an EGR issue that was solved by only replacing that little inline filter - cheap.

also - if it is actually the EGR that's faulty, often just cleaning it out does the trick, it just gets gunked up.

Thanks for the info. I dont have a meter but my brother does so I'll go pay him a visit. And thanks for the lead on the parts- killer deal- 57 bucks or so - cant beat that..... If thats what it turns out to be anyhow.

Even better if it is a little filter. but I don't think the valve is opening at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, lame question..... Do I need to go back to Autozone to have them clear the codes to turn off the CEL.

Here's what's been done so far. checked hoses. put air to the metal tube (sorry don't know the technical term there) and thats clear. tore apart the EGR valve and cleaned all the carbon out- that was pretty thick so could have been the issue. diaphram looks good (sp?) and although should have tested the solenoid we just replaced it with another used one (it was free, what the heck)

So I don't know if all the background was necessary... just lookin to see if once we chase down the problem, does the light go off or will I need a scan tool to reset? I read on someones post about disconnecting the battery for 30 min but that caused them problems and it was in the older generation forum too so I don't want to assume stuff will cross in the the newer gen. I'm kinda winging it here so thanks in advance for your wisdom.

***update- went to autozone and had them clear the codes and so far no CEL to be seen.