Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why can't things last forever

The other day I was going to the parts store for a new radiator cap and a quart of oil. As I was exiting my lifted 86 brat and I closed the door I heard a sound that was a little more than then usual window rattle. When I returned from making my purchased I found that the door would not open from the inside or outside and something in the latch had broken now here is the dilemma The only ea81 cars around here are over an hour away but there are some ea82 nearby. would the inner latch assembly from a ea82 work on a ea 81?

Chances are the small plastic retaining clip broke. Biggest problem will be getting the panel off. Takong the seat out will help. You may be able to get a replacement clip throogh a auto body paint supply shop. If it is the clip they should be the same as the EA82 cars.

You will have to tear into it to find the true problem.

OH I DO NOT GIVE UP! Maybe I should have been a bit clearer on my original post The part that is broken is in the latching mechanism itself all the linkage is functional up to the actual latch. My only question was if they were compatible ea81 to ea82 doesn't matter now anyway tommorrow Ill be taking that drive cuz as I remember it that jyard has a turboed ea82 that I am going to try to get the rear disc from.Thanks for the encouragement and the offer of parts but for now I'm good but that doesn't mean I won't need somthing in the future:rolleyes: