Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Moaning Noise

OK here's another issue to resolve. when I turn my steering wheel (either way) , I'm hearing a moaning what I believe coming from power steering pump. My power steering right now doesnt seem any problem, just the noise. The power steering fluid has never been changed and the Loyale has around 140k? Can it go BAD with that milage? How do I drain it? I had a '84 735i and I topped it off with power steering fluid. BIG mistake, it made same noise as my subbie. I had to drain and refill with auto-tranny fluid.

WHAT would I use on this Loyale IF the fluid is giveing out:confused:

i had that happen on my gl it will whine if it is low and pumping air if i where you i would try toping it off have someone in the car turn it lock to lock and slowly fill it till its full. if that dosent work unhook the return line and start the car but make shur you have the return line in a container then put fluid in untell no air comes out (have someone turning the wheel during this as well) then just hook it up. hope this helps

Thanks Rob.

There really is no such thing as "power steering fluid"

It's hydraulic fluid, or in the automotive world it's "Automatic transmission fluid".

Subaru's used Dexron ATF for power steering. It will say that on the cap.

Whining indicates the pump is cavitating - you have air in your system either because the fluid is low, or there is a leak in the hydrualic lines or seals (which usually means the fluid is low :rolleyes:)

GD

• Like 1

I thought that title would grab attention and get replys hehe So it seems it's just low on fluid, which I thought I did check but will check again:-\ Let me ask.....If I see it's full , Can the atf fluid go bad and break down since '92? :confused: