Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yes, we have done all the maintence outlined in the owners manual. We went to look at new cars today, but their is really nothing wrong with ours. We still get 28mpg, the same as the first tank of gas seven years ago:eek: .

I guess it is hard to justify a new car if hte old one is still running so good.

Yes, we have done all the maintence outlined in the owners manual. We went to look at new cars today, but their is really nothing wrong with ours. We still get 28mpg, the same as the first tank of gas seven years ago:eek: .

I guess it is hard to justify a new car if hte old one is still running so good.

Now you've gone and done it!

I agree. You've got a lot going for keeping the old car. Since you bought it new, & you've maintained it well...my opinion is that you really don't need a new car unless you really want to part with some cash.

If you haven't already done so, I think it would be better if you saved up that "payment" and use it for a sizable down-payment (or like my friend: he actually wrote a check for a new car and drove away with the title in hand.)

I agree. You've got a lot going for keeping the old car. Since you bought it new, & you've maintained it well...my opinion is that you really don't need a new car unless you really want to part with some cash.

If you haven't already done so, I think it would be better if you saved up that "payment" and use it for a sizable down-payment (or like my friend: he actually wrote a check for a new car and drove away with the title in hand.)

I'm increasingly of the Dave Ramsey school. I'd love to be able to buy my next (used) car with a stack of Benjamins. :cool:

when you figure about 24,000 plus tax for a new car, registration, and full coverage for the next 5 years (assuming a loan) plus lost intersest and depreciation.....

This is why i put a new engine in Blu at 191,000 miles. It was far cheaper then replacing him, since he was a solid rust free car.

And the new ones dont come in a pretty blue :)

nipper

And the new ones dont come in a pretty blue :)

nipper

The new ones don't come in any interesting colors at all, at least at my dealership. Its about the blandest parking lot full of cars I think I have ever seen. Choices are basically silver, black, tan, or gray.

it's a time bomb, you better sell it to me. PM me with a good price!

what kind of miles are theses - city miles are killer, highway miles are your friend here. i'd rather have a car with 150,000 highway miles than a 80,000 mile city driver. there's a HUGE difference. also a manual transmission has a much better chance of making 250,000 miles than an automatic, but if you're changing the ATF, not towing or plowing snow and keeping your tires rotated/matching then your chances are better for sure...which it sounds like you keep good maintenance.

for real, keep driving it, 200,000 miles isn't a big deal for this vehicle.

make your replacement decisions based on a few suggestions. if you don't like messing with any repairs at all then 200,000 is a good time to consider a new vehicle. it will be due for at least $1,000 worth of work then, but you still got 50,000 miles of payment free use so take it. you've essentially paid for it with good maintenance, so use it and pat yourself on the back!

if you don't mind a few minor repairs here and there then you could shoot for 250,000+ miles. If you do, I would bet you would need to replace something like a wheel bearing or alternator to make that mark. People driving older Subaru's that like reliability will address certain items as preventative maintenance but I'm guessing you don't want to go that route so i won't elaborate.