Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Valve lifter noise

I just finished putting back together my 87 ea82t and when i start it it runs fine but the passenger valve lifters are making quite a bit of noise. Wll they stop by them selves or do i need to do anything that a might of did wrong when i put the motor back together.

Thanks Jason

Do a search for "Tick of Death" or TOD.

Will it stop? Yes most certainly...... eventually it will be made into soda cans.

GD

I came up with no luck on how to fix it besides the ATF trick. But my noise started as soon as i got my motor back together so it must be some thing i did. Any suggestions on what i should do to fix this.

Thanks Jason

Well, the lifters are hydraulic, so it may take a little while for them to pump up. Drive it around, bring the RPM's up a little and it will probably go away. Lifter tap is a very common thing on EA82's, all 3 that I had tapped on occasion. I know when I first got my Loyale, the guy was running full synthetic in it, and it tapped alot. After switching it to normal oil, it barely ever does now.

I came up with no luck on how to fix it besides the ATF trick. But my noise started as soon as i got my motor back together so it must be some thing i did.

Then you haven't searched enough, or properly. Look harder. This has been covered every week since the inception of this board. There's at least 50 to 100 threads on it, and at least a dozen GOOD threads on it. No busting your balls, but searching will yeild more information than I can post here for you.

Any suggestions on what i should do to fix this.

No - because the possibilities are so varied. There's any number of reasons they will tick. Ultimately it's because they either aren't getting enough oil pressure, or because the oil is "aerated" with bubbles. You really need to do the homework with some searches because if you run them that way for long they won't stop ticking even when you fix the cause.

GD

use some Seafoam in the oil and take it for a spirited drive. Also, are you getting good oil pressure that stays around 35-40 during highway speeds. If the oil pressure gets too low during drive time, you will have to rebuild the oil pump or replace it.

Jason did you have the oil pump off the engine?

It has been reported that

a) the "mickey mouse" gasket is fit improperly

B) an over application of RTV plugs some oil passages

all other info given is also in the mix.

Hope it is niether of my WAGs