Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo problems??

I have a 87 gl with a ea82 turbo under the hood and when i get to about 3 grand the turbo really kicks in and goes for a second and then my intake thing that says "4wd turbo" the silver thing blows off above the throttle body. Then my car shuts down and i have to put it back on and this process repeats if i hit over 3k RPMs. Anything you guys think of that would cause this to do this.

Thanks alot

Jason

Crappy rubber and/or cheap/non-existant hose clamp.

If you cut some grooves in the metal peice, and make sure the interface is clean and free of oily substances it should work fine. There just needs to be a lot of friction there.

You may have to replace the rubber - they get hard after years of hot turbo intake air.

GD

Jason, I'm right up the road from you in Redmond and have LOTS of EA82T experience. Check the vac line going to the wastegate on the turbo. Make sure its plugged in. Also check for a crack in it as well. I have a boost gauge we could put on it to see what kind of boost its putting out under load.

Yeah sounds to me like the wastegate is either not working, or not hooked up.

Your car shouldnt make more than 7psi at max boost. Depending on your elevation etc... 7psi shouldnt be enough to seperate the intake plentum from the manifold.

I would also invest in a boost gauge. You can tap into the vacuum line that feeds the wastegate, and run a gauge off of it. This will help you monitor your boost levels.

-Brian

ok well i reconnected all of the vacuum lines. I had a few not plugged in. I went for another test drive and it still does the same thing but the intake piece does not blow off any more because i tightened real good. Once i hit 3k rpm now the car just takes off, it is fast and i know that something is not right.

Thanks Jason:banana:

Sure... whats the problem? There is no problem.....

....Until you blow your motor up. With you talking about the stock intake plentum, that leaves me to believe your car is not intercooled. You are asking for certain failure if you keep over boosting your engine. However, as said before, there is a Fuel Cut. The ECU should notice increased boost, and at 11-13psi it should cut the fuel supply and the motor should die.

I highly recommend getting a boost gauge. Then an intercooler.

If your not hitting fuel cut, whats the problem? are you positive this is a problem or is that pancake finally getting the air it needs.

the problem is that he could be running dangerously lean on old HGs

buy/use a boost gauge so we know what kind of boost he is talking about, we can't help you any further without this knowledge

just an FYI the EDM version of the EA82T has the vacuum line to the wastegate actuator directly on the manifold, no solenoid or WGDS as it is called in the picture.