Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust Mid Pipe Replacement Question

WA's explaination is why I thought they were

necessary.

The corn-fusing part to me is the

"Not necessarly."

Lets put it this way, they were there to begin with, they dont cost a lot of money, if it confudses you, put them back.

Subarus dont have many uneccassary parts to them :)

nipper

Its all done I also replaced the rear O2 sensor. Total cost of mid pipe and O2 sensor with new gaskets and bolts 280.00. I hope I saved some money, Does any one know what it would have cost?

I do have some leakage at that flex joint, The book said 14lbs on the bolt. I am going to give it a day to settle in. I will report back

WA's explaination is why I thought they were

necessary.

The corn-fusing part to me is the

"Not necessarly."

:) I forgot to put the word "But" in there.

And I tend to over analize things and get real long winded. So I left out the movement of the motor and trans mounts vs. the other hangers on the body And that it still all works if you don't put the springs in, but you may get some rattles, stress on the exhaust pipe................................................I'll quit now:grin:

That thing in the mid pipe is a resonator. I thought it was a cat as well the first time I ran across one. They started putting them on late 97's and all the 98's and 99's had it. No clue why.
The exhaust on my 98 rotted where the resonator is. When I had it replaced at a muffler shop they left the resonator out and there is no difference in sound at all.

Just stopped by the dealer last night in Augusta Maine, Charlies Subaru. Talked with Linda in parts about replacing my exhuast on my 98 OBW. According to her and the pictures of the parts break down, the 98 OBW can either have 2 seperate bolt in Cats, or use the one piece Cat section with 2 cats welded in it.

It also showed you could have 2 different places the rear o2 sensor could be located. Some its behind the 1st Cat, and others behind the 2nd Cat? It might be possible the pipe you have bolts up to the one piece 2 Cat pipe? Not the 2 seperate cat exhuast pipe which might require a shorter Mid pipe???

Thats my 2 cents. :headbang: