Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi and welcome to the USMB!

As for the BAJA, the only problem was they didnt sell so great due to the small niche market they catered to. I had a 2003 baja myself, and had to get rid of it when I changed jobs.

They are basically a longer legacy outback with a bed.

Do you have a specific one you are looking at?

Hi and welcome to the USMB!

As for the BAJA, the only problem was they didnt sell so great due to the small niche market they catered to. I had a 2003 baja myself, and had to get rid of it when I changed jobs.

They are basically a longer legacy outback with a bed.

Do you have a specific one you are looking at?

Saw a 2003 listed locally with 104,000 miles. Asking price $11,997. Pics looks very nice.

Did you like your baja....any problems or concerns? Can I get 250,000 miles out of it? ( I have a camry wagon with 250,000+)

Can I get 250,000 miles out of it? ( I have a camry wagon with 250,000+)

I LOVED my Baja!

They do have their pros and cons though.

PROS:

-its a SUBARU :grin:

-AWD

-open truck bed for carrying stuff (bikes, hay bales, etc)

-snappy 5 speed (cant say about an automatic) ?

-can easily tow a trailer/small camper

CONS:

-no interior space to store items you want to keep dry or locked (except where passengers would sit)

Basically, if you used your camry wagon's rear cargo space very much for hauling things you need to keep dry or locked up, and/or usually carry passengers, you may have trouble with the space avail in the Baja. (this was my only gripe)

The engine should be fine as long as you do the maintenance on it. Timing belt every 100,000 and coolant flushes every 30,000

The price is about par. I think I sold mine with 85,000 mi for about 13K

PICS? :grin:

EDIT: If the idea of a Baja with a cap appeals to you, I would advise you to get an outback/legacy wagon. (I love mine)

Saw a 2003 listed locally with 104,000 miles. Asking price $11,997. Pics looks very nice.

Did you like your baja....any problems or concerns? Can I get 250,000 miles out of it? ( I have a camry wagon with 250,000+)

Make sure they did the timing belt and tensioners (and ideally front seals and water pump too!) If they didn't (or can't PROVE it) you MUST. Make 'em knock a grand or $1200 off the price if not.

My next second car will be a Baja.

have one, great vehicle, if you have to carry more than 4 people, too bad unless you convert the rear seat to a legacy unit and add a lap belt.

should last a while i have had rather minor issues with mine, but still havnt gotten around to taking it in.

my rear power plug stopped working and i think i am retaining water either in the cladding or the roof rack (or both)

buy it :banana:

My Baja's an 05 turbo A/T and I love it. Only had it since this spring/summer, but I've wanted one since they came out. I'd have bought one for the farm at that time if things had been a little different.

Check out Scoobytruck.com and the Baja-specific forum at NASIOC for more info.

Cool car. I went to the dealer when they first showed and liked the way it drove, and that was the normally aspirated version. Unfortunately, I always cringed a little when looking toward the back third of the vehicle. All that cladding and the lights looked strange. The prorportions back there were a little difficult for me. Tell you what, though, I saw a picture of one with a scorpion lift and it looked pretty sweet.

But, hey, I didn't really like the WRX when it came out all bug-eyed. Now I'm looking at getting one someday. You'll definitely enjoy the baja.

What would be cool is a larger version, not necessarily based on the Tribeca, but maybe the size of a four-door Tacoma. Stick in the new turbo diesel and I'm all over it. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

The Baja they have locally....with 105.000 miles that is 11, 995....they had to put a new motor in it. Actually motor has 40,000 miles on it. I think the price will be the same, which means little room for negotiation. That sounds interesting.

Question...is a timing belt part of this "new" motor or does it likely still have a timing belt with 105,000 miles on it? If it does need a TB..what shoud I expect to pay for that?

keep shopping.... get one with 42K REAL miles for just a little more.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/car/559661247.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/car/554543567.html

you get the idea.... there are plenty for the SAME price with way less miles

Gee, they are a little hard to find. The one you linked was a great deal....I am in NC, however. I have used cars.com and autotrader.com, and also ebay (am watching 2 there now). Will also check Craig's List. anyone have any other suggestions?

I found that the single color paint job helps downplay the big errrr tushie of the Baja. 2 tone kind of exaggerates how big it is.

Nah, the 2-tone and mix of plastic and chrome accentuates the "little kid built it from broken toys" look that I LOVE!

I passed a few Bajas today and they were all single color... almost looked like that Honda Ridgeline? B-o-r-i-n-g and inconvenient to reach the goods in the bed.

Today, my interior was full to the ceiling and my bed was full. I was forced to use my side mirrors... wish it had back-up sensors. LOL!

I love my Baja!

Nah, the 2-tone and mix of plastic and chrome accentuates the "little kid built it from broken toys" look that I LOVE!

I passed a few Bajas today and they were all single color... almost looked like that Honda Ridgeline? B-o-r-i-n-g and inconvenient to reach the goods in the bed.

Today, my interior was full to the ceiling and my bed was full. I was forced to use my side mirrors... wish it had back-up sensors. LOL!

I love my Baja!

How does the single color affect reaching goods in the bed? Do the single color models have different characteristics? I have found a navy blue one I will probably buy. I agree the two tone looks pretty sporty. But, not enough Bajas out there to have a lot of choice (unless $$ is not an issue).