Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dexron III is what the manual calls for that era, same as the auto trans. You have to read the bottle carefully though now for some statement on the back like 'also for applications previously calling for Dexron II/IIE/III etc' since Dexron fluids aren't licensed from GM to be blended any more.

Another possibility might be the newer Subaru/Idemitsu HP-ATF.

• 3 weeks later...
What types of ATF will work in the power steering of a 98 OB? Any suggestions?

This is much my question, though re a '91 Legacy wgn,

whose manual says to use any dexron-II type,

but to NOT MIX BRANDS ! Now, I've no idea of the brand,

and might in any case have trouble finding "-II" in this era of "-III"

(I didn't see any in a cursory check recently).

And "not mixing" implies flushing. I see another post (elsewhere) saying

to:

Flush power steering fluid(turkey baster method works; just do it like half a dozen times).

What's the turkey-baster method? Is it what is given as an answer, e.g.

here? http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl672i.htm

Thanks much,

:)

Dont worry about which brand thing in your power steering. Yes that link describes the "turkey baster" method.

Dexron VI is back servicable for applications needing Dexron II or Dexron III.

Quote from Havoline's website:

"[Havoline Dexron VI] is the latest generation technology approved for use by General Motors in automatic transmissions and automatic transaxles where a DEXRON-VI fluid is specified. It is also back serviceable in transmissions calling for DEXRON-III or DEXRON-II fluids."

http://www.havoline.com/products/na/trans_dex6.html

Other options include MD-3 which is the older spec for Dex III & II. Also many "Multi-Vehicle" ATF fluids are Dex III & II approved.

[...]Quote from Havoline's website:

"[Havoline Dexron VI] is the latest generation technology approved for use by General Motors in automatic transmissions and automatic transaxles where a DEXRON-VI fluid is specified. It is also back serviceable in transmissions calling for DEXRON-III or DEXRON-II fluids."[...]

It's interesting that two GM licensees have such different takes on the backward compatibility of Dexron-VI. As I referred to in post #5 of this thread, Citgo says in http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/10165.pdf :

"DEXRON-VI is not suitable for use in non-GM vehicles which called for DEXRON-II or DEXRON-III type fluids."

Go figure. :-\

I believe that's because Dex-VI is noticeably lower viscosity than Dex-II, III, etc. That's OK in an A/T because the Dex-III shears quickly to about what Dex-VI starts as. Dex-VI is very shear stable. About the worst that might happen is you put in Dex-VI and the pump squeals or doesn't work that well, so you put some multi-vehicle ATF in.

Don't worry about which brand ...

To be clear: it isn't a worry about brand, per se, but about mixing

brands--and comes from the ALL CAPS WARNING AGAINST IT in the manual.

I gather from some of the descriptions of the baster-method flush, that it's

deemed pretty fair at diluting the old fluid w/new ("just do it xxx times").

It's interesting that two GM licensees have such different takes on the backward compatibility of Dexron-VI. As I referred to in post #5 of this thread, Citgo says in http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/10165.pdf :

"DEXRON-VI is not suitable for use in non-GM vehicles which called for DEXRON-II or DEXRON-III type fluids."

But that's missing a key distinction that Citgo makes--non-Gm vehicles--;

they earlier say, FOR GM vehicles (only) "The product is backward compatible

and can be used in all General Motors cars and trucks where DEXRON-III,

DEXRON-IIE and DEXRON-II type fluids were called for."

Wikipedia's entry notes that these "dexron"/"mercon" designations are more

requirements/standards, than forumlas/recipes, and so can be achieved in

different ways (which might not be so compatible w/each other--hence that

"do not mix" warning--or w/other grades)!?

--Anon.II

Go figure. :-\

I agree. Wish they'd made this compatibility question clear. For that reason, a multi-ATF that has Dex 3 approval or MD3 may be best right now until these companies make it clear. I bet in a few years they'll start phasing out the MD3.

Virtually all of the ATFs are identical in the base stock.

What differs is the additive package.

As an example, ATF+3 (Chrysler) is DEXRON II plus a particular Chrysler additive that modifies the fluid to make it a little "less sticky" for the clutch packs in the 604 (FWD, electronic shift pack) transmission.

From a PRACTICAL standpoint, even the old ATF A would WORK for POWER STEERING (assuming it isn't used elsewhere) because it's a petroleum based oil product and the SEALS are designed to handle it, and the PUMP doesn't CARE. At least in the "old" power steering systems, the fluid was a "mineral oil" with about 5 weight non-detergent characteristics. IF you had access to some ex-military "red oil" for the power steering system that would work, too.

I have NO IDEA of max operating temperatures :Flame:, though (and that might be the sticking point - breakdown at high temps)

Virtually all of the ATFs are identical in the base stock.

What differs is the additive package.

While nearly true, it's the add pack that makes it what it is. Otherwise, and assuming your 5-weight-equivalent claim were true, you could claim the same thing of a motor oil and an ATF. However, the add packs are so different that you really shouldn't even think about cross-filling motor oil and ATF.

I do agree, though, that the question of 'which ATF in my power steering system' really makes essentially no difference in the end. The systems are not complex and so long as you have about the target viscosity you'll be fine.

Like I said - the fluid contacts 3 things - hoses (oil is oil), seals (hydraulic oil behaves the same from manufacturer to manufacturer) and the pump (the pump doesn't care and the pump seals work in oil). ATF of any type IS NOT AGGRESSIVE (now if we were talking the kind of aircraft hydraulic fluid I'm used to - SKYDROL - it's an entirely different story. the stuff is a cousin to BRAKE FLUID)

Mix in the PS system? If it's red, use it. ATF has a good "preservative" in it anyway. It won't matter.

Don't try MIXING in TRANSMISSIONS, though (except manufacturer CAN be mixed in trans fluids - the SPEC is what matters - that's WHY SAE does the specs for the fluids)