Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 2.2 turbo crank bolt torque?

Sorry guys, I know there is a thread on this question about the torque on the crankshaft bolt on the 2.2 engine and I'm trying to sort out what is the actual torque for a 1991 Legacy Sports Sedan (Turbo/5spd). I have 176+K, and am planning a 1500 mile trip at the end of the month. My local mechanic, that I talked to today said the torque on the crank bolt is 99 ftlbs. At first he said it was 89 ftlbs and then read further in his manual. I thought I read on this forum that the torque was considerably higher. I might be wrong on this but I don't want to take a chance on having my crank pulley coming loose when he does the timming belts sometime after I return and the 180K mileage range. He also assured me that he never had one come loose. I know you guys are very knowledgeable on this subject. Can you please refresh me on the correct torque for the crank pulley bolt on the 2.2.

Thanks and happy new year to everyone.

Megell

Thank you for the information, that's what I thought. Now, I'm not quite sure what to do. I don't want to try to tell the mechanic what I want it torqued to versus his 99 lbs according to his book. I guess I'll call Subaru over in Durango and see what they say.

I believe what you guys are saying. I just don't quite know how to get it across to my mechanic here in this small town.

Mike

Thank you for the information, that's what I thought. Now, I'm not quite sure what to do. I don't want to try to tell the mechanic what I want it torqued to versus his 99 lbs according to his book. I guess I'll call Subaru over in Durango and see what they say.

I believe what you guys are saying. I just don't quite know how to get it across to my mechanic here in this small town.

Mike

tell him there have been multiple cases of crank pulley/keyway boogering when not torqued to 130 ft lbs. ask him to garrantee it won't let loose and screww up your crank. get him to garrantee, in writing, he will fix it for free.

tell him there have been multiple cases of crank pulley/keyway boogering when not torqued to 130 ft lbs. ask him to garrantee it won't let loose and screww up your crank. get him to garrantee, in writing, he will fix it for free.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I explained to him about the fact that the crank pulley could come loose and damage the key and pulley and he said he never had one come loose..

He's the only one around here that works on Subarus and has, as far as I know has done a pretty good job. but all it takes is one screwup on something as important as the crank pulley torque...I don't my car to be the first one to experience ..missinformation.

So, What if I let him do the 180K service ...and then drive it home the couple of miles and then Torque it myself to 125 or 130. Whadda think about that?? I have a nice Central Tool 1/2" torque wrench (Clicker) that I've had for 30 years.

At least I'd know that it was torqued down tight.

Mike

That'd be one way to do it! If you have a manual trans you can just put 'er in fifth to hold the crank while you torque up the bolt a little more. If you have an auto you can cram a small pry bar or brake adjuster tool or something like that in the flywheel plate. There's a little access hole right near the TPS.

blockcrank-96-1.jpg

I would torque it to the 125 at least. There have been a number of horror picture posts about what happens when the bolt loosens up....

crank-bolt-loosened1.jpg

That'd be one way to do it! If you have a manual trans you can just put 'er in fifth to hold the crank while you torque up the bolt a little more. If you have an auto you can cram a small pry bar or brake adjuster tool or something like that in the flywheel plate. There's a little access hole right near the TPS.

blockcrank-96-1.jpg

I would torque it to the 125 at least. There have been a number of horror picture posts about what happens when the bolt loosens up....

crank-bolt-loosened1.jpg

OK, mine is a 5spd. I can get or may have a 22mm socket and can retorque with someone on the brake pedal and in 5th gear. My only question now is.....what is that funny blue looking glove in your first picture?

Mike

hehe, that's just a glove I put over the throttle intake to keep spiders, ladybugs, flies, bees, etc. from getting in there while I was doing the timing belt and some other work.

Ha! I thought those gloves looked familiar. High grade blue gloves indeed! I have few of those left out in the garage and save them for special occaisions. Meanwhile, I use the cheap vinayl (sp?) inspection gloves for normal everyday use (if you want to call that normal). So... you have ladybugs in New York?

Those are the harbor freight nitrile gloves. When they're onsale for $5 a box in the XL size it's a bargain! Summitracing was also closing out their gloves for $5 a box last year. Oh yes we get ladybugs in NY. Hasn't been too bad the last couple years, but like four years ago there were literally hundreds of thousands of them around the garage and yard and stuff. I read they released a few million up in Toronto to try to combat something.

Those are the harbor freight nitrile gloves. When they're onsale for $5 a box in the XL size it's a bargain! Summitracing was also closing out their gloves for $5 a box last year. Oh yes we get ladybugs in NY. Hasn't been too bad the last couple years, but like four years ago there were literally hundreds of thousands of them around the garage and yard and stuff. I read they released a few million up in Toronto to try to combat something.

Sorry to everyone for this being a bit off topic, but the blue glove you mention, I think they have a rather rough surface that works well in oily mechanical work. 5 bucks a box is deal. I pay 7-8 for the cheap stuff around here.

I hear the fireflys eat their mate after, well you know what...oh maybe thats the black widow spider that I'm thinking of.