Ultimate Subaru Message Board

o2 SENSOR, UNIVERSAL VICE OEM SPEC's

I looked through the threads couldn't find anything to prove that Bosch Aftermarket O2 Sensors are not up to the specs of Subaru OEM?

Not saying I'm buying anything here, just like to see hard facts. I am a fan of OEM, usually the quality is far superior than aftermarket Junk. But these are the same Mfr ?

Can anyone steer me to a web site where I can read Bosch sells better quality to some but not others?

Boy I bet this will open a can of worms :slobber:

Rear O2 snesor can be from anyone anywhere.

It's the front one that counts.

nipper

Thats what I read, but where did you get your spec's (information) to prove there is a difference between Bosch O2 bought at NAPA is without doubt inferior (lesser quaility) to a Bosch O2 bought at the dealer?

This fourm is filled with knowledgable members, and alot of the info put out usually can be backed up with some hard core facts, except these threads about BOSCH O2 vs BOSCH O2 ?

As you well know Nipper, this could be debated forever on which one to use. My question still isn't answered, where would I find proof to show there is a difference :confused:

Thats what I read, but where did you get your spec's (information) to prove there is a difference between Bosch O2 bought at NAPA is without doubt inferior (lesser quaility) to a Bosch O2 bought at the dealer?

This fourm is filled with knowledgable members, and alot of the info put out usually can be backed up with some hard core facts, except these threads about BOSCH O2 vs BOSCH O2 ?

As you well know Nipper, this could be debated forever on which one to use. My question still isn't answered, where would I find proof to show there is a difference :confused:

Basically just from the evidence here, form peoples expieriences. If you wish to buy one form autozone go right ahead.

I also rely on my knowledge of working for an auto parts mfg as to the differnces in quality.

I dont do debates that go on forever anymore. So I am going to step out of this thread.

nipper

Sorry that last post really sounded rude, and i didnt mean to be :(

Just having a bad month.

nipper

Look on the bright side, you fixed Blu's problem with a 20 dollar oil change a couple of days ago? Hang in there :headbang:

Damn, that front one always gets me. If it goes I will put an aftermarket on. I have 183K on it so it could be anyday.

Still researching this,

I called Bosch (Farmington Hills, MI 48331) and just recieved a return call from them.

According to this Rep, he states there is no difference between any Bosch O2Sensor sold anywhere (same part number), they make different types (see there web site) but he clearly stated Bosch O2 sensors will be exactly the same quality unit as long as the Bosch part number is the same, and the only differance with the universal is you'll have to put the plug on it.

He also said "If the O2 sensor for Subaru is built buy Bosch (OEM), the only differance between the one you'll buy there (dealer) or at any other auto parts store will be the box Subaru put it in and Subaru part number printed on the box" .

I'm still waiting on a email from another tech rep at Bosch, maybe I'll get it tomorrow?

I've used Bosch O2 sensors on other viehicles in the past and always wondered if they were the same as the Dealer Bosch's? :rolleyes:

It's not necessarily the 'quality' but perhaps more so the specification it is built to. Now I love love1.gif Subaru OEM parts are much as the next enthusiast, but I have used the bosch generic (wayyyy before i knew anything about soobs) on my '96. I ordered the OEM front o2 sensor for my '94, and it does say bosch on it. However, '00obw the front o2 sensor is a five wire sensor.........

OE is sort of like elctronics. There are diffent specs that the consumner never sees. OE may eant o2' sensors the have a specific band, and take a specific time to heat up, to stay within federal specs.

Aftermarket will take 100 O2 sensros from different mfgs to see how many interchange. Some of the specs may get watered dwon during this coomparison. Some may do functional testing, some wont. Also OE may tweak the the specs, and immediatly (since they use just in time inventory) the new spec will be available at the dealer. Aftermarket makes them in batches, so they may or may not be up to spec.

We call this front door parts and back door parts. The parts that go out to the front door go to a demanding customer. The backdoor parts go to the aftermarket. There is a reason you pay premium at the dealer. Also bosch is not going to mfg 100 differnt O2 sensors when 10 or 20 will do.

Also another thing to think about, if OE lasted over 100,000 miles, then the replacement OE will too.

BTW Subaru isnt the only one that should use OE, I have seen on the other boards that toyota and honda should too, and they also are Bosch.

nipper

EDIT - (frogot this thought) this means that the tolerances wont be as tight for aftermarket as OE. Also QA testing is done only once when first designed on aftermarket to keep costs down.

I looked through the threads couldn't find anything to prove that Bosch Aftermarket O2 Sensors are not up to the specs of Subaru OEM?

Not saying I'm buying anything here, just like to see hard facts. I am a fan of OEM, usually the quality is far superior than aftermarket Junk. But these are the same Mfr ?

Can anyone steer me to a web site where I can read Bosch sells better quality to some but not others?

Boy I bet this will open a can of worms :slobber:

Well, I know for a "fact" that Bosch "does" sell different qualities falling out of the Same box.. depending on where you buy it..But this pertains only for example from my experience to distributors or points replacements, starters, coils, etc for my '74 VW van or 86 vanagon or cam/crank seals, etc..something you can see....However, I doubt if anyone can say for sure if this same logic can be applied for example to the Subi/OEM(bosch) being better then the Aftermarket(bosch) for the modern car....on my '01 OB (Auto) the Subi/Bosch O2 sensor didn't last even 40K mi. while at the moment my Aftermarket/Bosch has surpassed the same amount of miles without incident and about 4 times cheaper then the dealers price...on the rear.. the O2 sensor is made by "denso"..are we going to question them also???...let the suspicions continue...