Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Uh-oh

And not GM :dead: I woulda at least gone with a Mopar engine, although they are more expensive than GM stuff.

Or stayed Japanese and put this beast in there:

P1030737.jpg

Toyota engines are Hemis, but I think the small block chevy is the cheapest way to go, due to the availability of parts for these and the huge aftermarket support. Im a Ford guy myself, but i have respect for chevys too. Also a big thing about the chevy motor, the wiring (or lack there of) will be uber easy.

im thinking bout doing the same. i got 2 possible car projects i would like to do.

one subaru im still looking for. but i have tracked down an 1600 wagon that im thinking of buying. thinking of EJ sumthing since it would fit that stuff in it.

still in idea stage tho:-\

you are going to need some serious

front springs

Must we assume, since you removed the rear diff,

you are mounting a large propellor on this

and ?????

Where is Red Green when we need him??

I like the Lexus idea but that engine had to

cost more than three of these type Subies.

its weird because the block just sitting on the front cross member doesnt even sway the front suspension, it still sits higher than usual, and as for the rear, i wil be putting a shortened rear end with a 4 link and a panhard rod. i will be tubbing the vehicle out and putting a full roll cage with front clip supports.

and as for the rear, i wil be putting a shortened rear end with a 4 link and a panhard rod. i will be tubbing the vehicle out and putting a full roll cage with front clip supports.

haha i was thinking off doing the same :grin:

before i start any more projects i gotas get rid off sum of my cars

another update:

in the process of tubbing out the rear :lol::grin::clap:

rear cut.jpg

one of my concerns is why the heck is the right wheel sitting higher than the left one? im assuming because the right shock is decompressed and needed a new cartrage any ways

I like the Lexus idea but that engine had to

cost more than three of these type Subies.

That;s a Toyota V8, note the fact it has the "bean in a hat" Toyota logo on the front of it? The Lexus engine has the Lexus "L" on it. (They're the same motor though, although I THINK the Lexus motor has slightly more output.) I'm not 100% sure what that motor is out of, since it doesn't look like the Tundra 4.7, which leads me to believe it's a JDM 1UZFE which came in the Toyota Celsior (which we got as the Lexus LS400) still a pretty spiffy motor. And not as expensive as one would think, since the 1UZ first came to the US in 90 or 91 (can't remember which)

• 3 months later...
That;s a Toyota V8, note the fact it has the "bean in a hat" Toyota logo on the front of it? The Lexus engine has the Lexus "L" on it. (They're the same motor though, although I THINK the Lexus motor has slightly more output.) I'm not 100% sure what that motor is out of, since it doesn't look like the Tundra 4.7, which leads me to believe it's a JDM 1UZFE which came in the Toyota Celsior (which we got as the Lexus LS400) still a pretty spiffy motor. And not as expensive as one would think, since the 1UZ first came to the US in 90 or 91 (can't remember which)

Yeah, they aren't too expensive. A few hundred bucks should get you a nice one. Same deal with older BMW V12s. They are dirt cheap because to run them in anything but a bimmer, you need a stand alone engine management. A shop near me just dropped one into an older Range Rover. :eek:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey , I would try putting a starter before you get too involved with this swap.I have mocked up chevy v8 in subaru's several times and couldn't get around the starter to crossmember interference. The rack mount is were the starter needs to be. You could overcome this with engine setback but that sucks for leg room. I'm not saying this is impossible just not likely to do with normal starter location. Trust me , I wanted It to work in my brat . Good luck with your project and keep us updated!