Ultimate Subaru Message Board

some problems needing some answers about power.

i own an 89 xt6 with a 2.7 flat 6. i just get that out of the way cause some people like to gripe about it.

Anyways. I recently did some reconstruction to it. New exeddy racing clutch, high performance injectors and lifters, fuel filter, pcv valve replacement, spark plugs, distributor and rotor, timing belts, and lastly a custom made intake.

I got the engine running but its not getting me power. in an idle state i can gas it and it responds well. when i floor it, while still parked, instead of peaking out the rpms it starts to choke and sputter and wont pass 2000rpms. i can drive it downhill and on level ground so long as i can hit a "sweet spot" on the gas peddle. when it comes to driving uphill i have to fight it to make it do 20mph. which usually consists of me leaving it in first gear and almost flooring it. its not responding and ive tried everything i know. not even my friend, whos been a mech for 12+ yrs knows what to do anymore.

if anybodys ever faced this problem or might have any ideas as to what might be causing this your help would be greatly appreciated. the only thing left that i think it could have to do with is the throttle. but i dont know what part/parts it would involve fixing or replacing. anything at all will help.

I had a very similar issue with my stock XT6... Mine was caused by a faulty coil...But other things to check..You did make sure the timing didnt jump? I would double check to make sure its right on. Dang it i can't remember right now ..but there is something about the timing marks on the flywheel and if you use the Chiltons or Haynes their instructions arent right.

Also after re reading..did you take into consideration the fuel system..seeing that you upgraded the injectors etc. Check to make sure you are getting the right fuel pressure

welcome to the USMB

but we do happen to see many different engines

fuel systems ect

"i just get that out of the way cause some people like to gripe about it."

???

Good luck with your problem

There is a very good forum for XT/XT6 s

by the way.

You said you put in performance injectors and lifters? What kind of lifters/injectors did you exactly put in it? If it ran fine before you did these mods, it's obvious, switch back to the original parts.

... Well i would put back the originals, but seeing how 3 of the injectors had shattered tips and 2 were completley blown out that doesnt seem to be very likely... Secondly, due to me being "cheap" on occasion, ran the car on regular oil and not synthetic. it sounded much like a bunch of kids pounding on metal trash cans as i drove places. they were worn out and 3 of them ceased up. ill find out which brands the injectors/lifters are. i was reffered to them by someone on a diff site.

I'm also going to revert the intake back to stock. and recheck the timing to make sure its right on.

The kids with the trash cans could be the hydraulic lash adjusters, or what you might call, lifters. Was the car parked for a reasonable amount of time? I ask because these lifters need to pressurize and fill up with oil. Also running some sea-foam (or other engine cleaner) through the oil could help (the lifters may be stuck or dirty)

as for the injectors, I'm still puzzled with what type you put in it :-\ maybe some pictures will enlighten me?

if you had the distributor out or the cams apart refr the the procedure in this link. the article refers to 4 cyl but th eprocedure would be the same for the xt6 in regards to timing and cam marks positions

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50768

aside from that, make sure the MAF, TPS and o2 are functioning correctly.

the haynes book forgets to tell you to rotate the crank between installing the belts for each cam

if you are going to check the ignition timing

make sure the idle switch is on

and

the green connectors are connected.

sorry I am sure you knew that.

Im sorry. i dont mean to sound ignorant, but what do you mean by what you said. Im a "self taught" mech and im always eager to learn something new. if you wouldnt mind explaining what it is you said i'd greatly appreciate it.

What is the idle switch and where do i find it.

What are the green connectors. What should they be connected to. Is there a way to adjust the throttle??

What are the green connectors. What should they be connected to.

The ECU on XTs, XT6es, Loyales etc have 2 sets of plugs. These are used for diagnostics and also for setting timing.

The ECU on our cars is in the trunk on the underside (between the rear speakers). Have a dig around in the ECU harness and you'll find 2 sets of plugs: green and black. There should be 2 of each, connect them together when directed. Have a search round this site. I'm sure there is a list of how to pull codes from the ECU. Basically you connect the green plugs and then read the flashing of the LED on the ECU. Long flashes are 10s, short flashes are 1s (eg: long-long-long-short-short is 32).

To set the timing you should warm the car up, kill ignition, connect green plugs, restart engine and set timing. Use the marks on the flywheel. If you can't get the timing right chances are the disty is out by a tooth or more, or the timing belts are installed wrong.

Have you been over to www.subaruxt.com/forum ? That is the place that has the most info on the ER27 engine. Good luck getting it sorted.

Before you get too carried away taking apart all your sensors and resistors and fuses and all that stuff check your fuel pressure... or at least see what the fuel sock in the pump looks like.. .my xt6 had so much residue in the tank I couldn't get it to run just like what you are saying I eventually had to take my fuel tank out and pressure wash it and replace a bunch of leaking fuel hoses under the car. Fuel pump is located on passenger side underbody near the rear tire.

Just to throw you another idea. Mass air flow sensor dirty? This was the problem on my Ranger and it took me quite a bit of troubleshooting to figure it out. It ran about the same as you described, loss of power when floored, and it spark-knocked.

Just to throw you another idea. Mass air flow sensor dirty? This was the problem on my Ranger and it took me quite a bit of troubleshooting to figure it out. It ran about the same as you described, loss of power when floored, and it spark-knocked.

that never really crossed my mind either... same thing happened to buddy of mine. had a bug stuck to his. i should be able to use carb cleaner, or brake parts cleaner to clean it right.

ill try that in the morning.