Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some outbacks have LSD too, but I have yet to see one with a sticker on the diff, best way is just turn the axle on one side and if the other side turns the same direction, it's LSD. I don't know what outbacks had it, I just know that a lot of the ones that come into my work (Subaru dealer) when I have it up on the lift and I'm rotating the wheel to check the brakes and axle boots in the rear, both rear tires turn the same direction.

Some outbacks have LSD too, but I have yet to see one with a sticker on the diff, best way is just turn the axle on one side and if the other side turns the same direction, it's LSD. I don't know what outbacks had it, I just know that a lot of the ones that come into my work (Subaru dealer) when I have it up on the lift and I'm rotating the wheel to check the brakes and axle boots in the rear, both rear tires turn the same direction.

Yep my Mom's '03Legacy GT sedan has a LSD rear end.

Sorry to drag this a little off topic - but whats a definitive test for a rear LSD? Mine has no sticker on it and im curious to know what ive got.

It involves jacking up the rear of the car and rotating one of the wheels by hand. If the opposite wheel turns in the same direction the one by hand is being turned, then you have a LSD. If it turns in the opposite direction (backwards) then you have an open differential.

What i mean is with my car being awd...im thinking both wheels may just turn in the same direction and rotate the driveshaft. Ive seen quite a few open diffs with enough drag in them to do this - doesnt take much.
Durania gave you the correct method of testing....doesn't matter whether it's AWD or not.

Do any Foresters come factory with LSD diffs in them?:confused:

guess you've already got your answers, but... I shopped for a Forester with an LSD in mind as well... I referenced cars101.com to see which ones had the LSD...

I ended up with a 2000 Forester S... lots of fun little comfort options...

I think if you get one a year or two newer you can also get the moonroof option... but I didn't want to spend the extra money at the time...

--Spiffy

USDM 98-08 only the base or L Forester DOES NOT have a rear LSD. It is standard on all S, XS, Premium and Turbo models.

That all changes in 2009 Forester line with VDC standard on all models.

That would be great news if accurate. Looks like I'll be jacking up the rear wheels on our '99 Model S!:)

• 5 years later...