Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to blow up a Justy:

I think it comes from the fact that they DID sell a rebadged Swift in Europe, as a Justy, and WITH 4WD. Google it. They just never made it over here.

I doubt there's more than a handful of people in the US that even know about that. It stems from the appearance, the similar vintage, and the common knowledge that they are "that weird 3 cylinder". People's assumptions take over from there.

GD

I've checked on the Justy board, but it seems like most those threads tail off after someone attempts the project. It looks like we're going to find an engine and just get the car running and sell it. I'll throw some pics up on the board for you guys to look at. Right now the car is stuck in Ellensburg and my dad and I can't tow it until the snow slows down in the pass.

Anyone else know where to get a good Justy engine?

Unfortunately you just missed one on Craigslist Vancouver for $100, but who knows how good it was. Did you post on the "Wanted" section of the Justy Forum? There's a lot of Justy folks in Washington, and lot of those guys have mutiple parts cars. Also, if you haven't already posted the car "as is" in the "For Sale" section you might be able to get rid of it with minimal work. It might be difficult to find an engine that you know is good without shelling out the cash. The oil pump and rod bearings always wear out without maintenance, and to do that requires pulling the engine, so they often get neglected. Conversely, the engine is actually one tough little unit, so if you buy a nice rebuilt and maintain it knowing the weaknesses of the design you will have a sweet little 4WD with a bottom mpg of 35 for a long time. I personally, would throw a good engine in it and keep it, but obviously I am biased. They are great little cars with a little knowledge and elbow grease, and will pay for themselves relatively quickly. If you do sell it... being an 18 year old car that just threw a rod you probably have <180k on it. My '88 says it has 36k on it. The kid I bought it from tried to tell me those were actual miles...don't be that kid.

I'd love to keep the car. I bought it for my sister (with her money) thinking it would be a great car to commute back and forth from WSU with. She liked it until she drove next to a semi on the freeway.

The car does have under 80k original to my knowledge. We checked out the carfax before we purchased it and it had only one owner, local car, and the last mileage report showed 56k. My dad has the sheet in a file at his house so I'd have to double check it for the exact mileage and date.

If it were my decision this would be the perfect opportunity to build a justy with a turbo and squeeze some HP out of that little 3 cyl! I couldn't even imagine how much fun that thing would be on a snowy road.

Hey guys, I'm looking to tow this thing back to the eastside and my dad and I are going to use a tow bar but don't know how it connects to the Justy. Here's the bar we were gunna get:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94696

Will that connect to the Justy's bumper? I think the car has 2 tow hooks on the front, but I dont remember and couldn't find and online owners manual.

Hey guys, I'm looking to tow this thing back to the eastside and my dad and I are going to use a tow bar but don't know how it connects to the Justy. Here's the bar we were gunna get:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94696

Will that connect to the Justy's bumper? I think the car has 2 tow hooks on the front, but I dont remember and couldn't find and online owners manual.

Dude, just rent a tow dolly. When you told me what you guys were thinking of getting, I pictured something else... LIKE A TOW DOLLY!

BOOM!

http://reservations.uhaul.com/ReservationsWeb/Quote.aspx?rateID=479179050

Show that to your old man. Thats for a 24 hour, "In Town" rental. Its the same price as that tow bar you are looking at. (Which could be attached, but not without drilling/bolting or welding it on.)

**EDIT** This is my 4,000th post, WOO HOO!!!

Too bad my '88 is a different body style...it came with tow bar connectors attached. I could still send you a picture if you want. They bolt into the front crossmember from the bottom. The tow dolly with a come-along would be the easiest, but if you are not doing everything in 24 hours or would rather own a tow bar then it shouldn't be too difficult. I would bring some pre-drilled angle iron. There are tow eyelets on both of the front corners of my car that are relatively small. With some large burly washers you could probably mount to those, but it might be a bit sketchy. Break away chains definitely recommended.

justy.jpg