Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new brat-(56k,yeah probly not)

monstaru

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82641

i had full intentions of making this a daily driver until the'ollady said why are you doing that.:grin: god i love her.anyways,first things first.this will be fun and exciting for all of us.

lets start with some pics.moving day.picked up another frame from a guy as the last one was bent.

IMG_1574.jpg?t=1202181335

IMG_1578.jpg?t=1202181373

picked up a trailer sunday morn and ran over to idaho to pick it up.got it off of the trailer and had to move the red brat out of the driveway to get it in.i live on a bus route in the city so this was not very fun.i moved the frame over inch by inch with a 5 ft piece of schedule 40 and leverage. until i had it lined up with the driveway and then baccaruda showed up and we pushed it the rest of the way in.a little work done on the frame in the way of stripping wiring off of it,unbolting some unnecessary items like heat shields and such........that was yesterday and this morning...cheers, brian

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

today i stripped the front of the brat down.

IMG_1584.jpg?t=1202181768

IMG_1582.jpg?t=1202181796

IMG_1581.jpg?t=1202181816

it did not take me that long really.i spent more time figuring out how i was going to keep the brat off of the ground and be able to push the frame in under it.i am supposedly working the rest of the week so i will figure on some evening work.the back will be a little bit trickier.as i am low on space as it is(meaning the doors to my garage are already touching the rearend).and once it is off of wheels for good i will have to be a little more careful.i'll get some more pics in a couple of days when i make more progress.cheers, brian

FIRST of all.my thread,mine mine mine!argue somewhere else please.i have been trying to get to this swap for over a year now.and now i am doing it ,purists' hatred be damned.

i was a purist until i realized i had reached my own limits with what i had done.now mind you those limits were mechanical limits .............

second of all it will have an ej22 in it.toyota divorced t case,already has 4.3 somethin gears,obviously solid axles.

as for now the suspension plans are unknown.i have to source some more springs.buy some hangers and what not.

really i need to build a welder first.my whopping 100 amp service is not gonna help on this project.so i have an 8 hp wisconsin motor that came off of an old troweling machine.gonna hook that up to an old dc airplane generator and do some wiring.cost around 300 bucks.but will be 300 amp and free of my electrical constraints.

before any of that i have to *fit the body to the frame.

and jared,i will not be doing any shortening of frames.i am looking at extremely killer approach/departure angles.

today i got a 2x6 to loft the rear end up with

it was 4x6x10.it is a little warped(i don't care).so i got it for 4 bucks!stoked because it is treated wood and because it was originally like 28 bucks.so score.thanks home depot honest guy.

i have to pick up some more 6 ton jacks.that will likely be tomorrow.definitely by the weekend.cheers, brian

So we assume this is a Toyota frame?

Are you going to keep it leaf sprung or build a coil set up for it?

Will you be using a Suby tranny or building an adapter for a toy tranny?

I know what you meen about mechanical limits, (after snapping both rear axles this weekend :-\ )

it is a toy frame.

"Will you be using a Suby tranny or building an adapter for a toy tranny?"

divorced transfer case means not attached to the tranny.:grin: i will be using a sube tranny.for the basics of this build it will be leaf sprung.with a mish mash of leafs in the front,and some different springs in the back.should be fun.for not likeing the idea , you sure are interested.:lol: cheers, brian

yeah, which tranny are you going to use? This project's been revised so many times I've lost track. I'd think that you have the best clutch options with an EJ-series transmission of some sort. Potentially lower cost with an EA-series transmission (but my wagon's isn't going anywhere right now ;) ) but with the $ you're going to spend on transfer case hardware, drivelines, and axle guts, a little more is a small difference.

i was leaning to an ej box.for the exact reason stated of a good clutch.

but that leaves me with no dual cases.so i think i will put the 4spd i have in it for now.and see how long it takes me to blow it up.

although i can get a racing clutch for a 5spd.

hey jared,is that 5spd a d/r?and what type of shape is it in?cheers, brian

never ran it, can't guarantee, john pulled it out of a junk yard for me. appears to work fine... definately a d/r 5 speed, it's the spare for my car.

but i'm thinking that the whirring/grinding vibe sound that lil' roo has, is the rear diff. found a few ring gear teeth in the oil of my rear diff. as long as that's the problem the tranny is just taking up space, cause everyone thinks i'll drop the price of the car if i remove the spare parts from the deal... i was just throwing them in for free, cause it's my last subaru.

i was leaning to an ej box.for the exact reason stated of a good clutch.

but that leaves me with no dual cases.so i think i will put the 4spd i have in it for now.and see how long it takes me to blow it up.

although i can get a racing clutch for a 5spd.

hey jared,is that 5spd a d/r?and what type of shape is it in?cheers, brian

indeed. an XT6 clutch will be plenty with adequate gearing (which you will have). and there are aftermarket options as well. stick with the EA tranny for that extra reduction! With bigger tires (I'm assuming you're probably shooting for somewhere in the neighborhood of 31-33"ers) you'll probably want to run with the EA case in low range even when you're not wheeling....

awesome project! I wish I had the means for one like it. but without a garage, or fabrication skills (not to mention the fact that all the cars worth starting a project like this with are all rusted out in this part of the world), I was pretty much just left with moving to something else.

I with my Toyota looked like a Brat and had an EJ22 :headbang:

ok,so i went and got some more 6 ton jackstands.and afterwards realized that i will need a more permanent solution for hoisting the frame.not like i did not know that,but was putting it off.so tomorrow i will be off to the caster store!

what do you think?330 pounds per corner good enough as far as weight limits.thats per caster.rigid frame built from 4x4 and 4x6.some 2x8 and whatever i can dig out of the dumpster from work tomorrow.

cheers, brian

i'll be using cross over.any toyota wisdom you can pass on ,i'll take.i will posting some pics on marlin as sson as i get the hoist built this weekend.cheers, brian

Sweet project! Enjoying your ideas. Looking foreward to how it turns out.

What kind of steering set up are you going to use? toyota stock push-pull steering or a cross over set up? Nice work so far.

well, i have the garage cleared out.tomorrow we start building the hoist.i'll take some pics.won't be lifting it off of the ground yet.still have to acquire the block and tackle i want.but we'll get her built anyhow.

pickedd up some 1 ton straps with looped ends.these will not only help with the holding of the body,but in recovery situations later on.twas a good excuse to buy some recoverry gear.:grin:

anyways,pics and such tomorrow.cheers, brian

ok, so did not get as far as i thought.baccaruda had a noise in his drivetrain to take care of.geez.....some poeple.:grin:

anyways.....enjoy the wood working pics

IMG_1585.jpg?t=1202697667

the woodworking station

IMG_1586.jpg?t=1202697702

the blocks all cut up for the bottom pieces.and getting sceerewd.......

IMG_1588.jpg?t=1202697762

somebody stole my windshield!!!!:lol:

the master plan

IMG_1590.jpg?t=1202697811

hahah:rolleyes: ;)

IMG_1591.jpg?t=1202697879

starting to take shape.......

IMG_1595.jpg?t=1202697938

finished product......

IMG_1597.jpg?t=1202697971

hoisting materials.:headbang:

well, it was the shortest long day .did not get started until about noon 30.so by 6 baccaruda and i had the main posts whipped into shape.

tomorrow i will appropriate some more wood from the recycling dumpster and cut some gussets for the top mounts and main posts.

i am a little behind on buying actual parts for the rig because of this little side project.but will be back on track soon.cheers, brian

ok,so i got one of the hoists built finally.cut some gussets today.and mounted the top beams.sorry , i promise i will get to some actual excitement soon.:lol:

just trying to show progress.cheers, brian

IMG_1610.jpg?t=1202792250

in all its glory,(remember,i am a concrete finisher,if you have something to say about my carpentry....keep it to yourself):lol:

IMG_1608.jpg?t=1202792339

ok. thanks for lookin!