Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fresh old school soob enthusiast in NV

Hi, i'm Pete and I own an 82 wag and an 86 hatch. I'm looking for some folks to learn some things about old school subarus from. I've learned a lot from here already, from a nonexistant mechanical background. If anyone ever wants to wrench around with a motivated noob, let me know.

Hope this didn't sound too lame :cool:

Like Tom says.

Welcome to the good ship USMB.

Little far away to offer help but

would suggest you download

a copy of

"How to keep your Subaru Alive"

http://www.economysuperstar.com/milesfox/subaru/service/htkysa/htkysa.htm

a.k.a. HTKYSA

Good porcelain "thrown" material.

Also keep the peepers pealed for

a FSM* for your cars

(The Bay of Evil has them many times)

*Factory Service Manual

Here's wishing many miles of smiles in you new Su Bar Ru

would suggest you download

a copy of

"How to keep your Subaru Alive"

I just got my hard copy about a week ago. It's been helpful to a degree, but then again i live with no garage and a sloping slushy driveway to work with.

Yup, welcome.

There are a few of us old gen guys around here, a little spread out (after all this is northern Nevada:rolleyes: ).

Stay tuned here, we usually organize our meets on this board..sometimes trail runs, sometimes "Wrenchfests".

Thanks for the welcome. I'll keep my eyes open for a get together, sounds like a good time. i just ran some trails behind my house, and damn, a stock subaru can be pretty impressive when driven wisely! Can't wait to make improvements.

NV, have you ever driven the foothill trails out in washoe valley? I hear theres even one that goes to all the way to virginia city (jumbo grade). Looking to go the "sand pits" in the gardnerville area tomorrow.

A few of us (Subieman, Jibs, TheSubaruJunkie and I) were knocking around Jumbo just last year (maybe it was '06:rolleyes:). I knew there was a path to Virginia City (I have USFS maps), but when we got just a short way above that motorcycle play area, we hit Sierra Cement..couldn't go up any higher..so, we tooled around the general area, had a good time..I believe there are pix and vids.

Next time there, I'd like to hit that little pizza joint in downtown New Washoe City. I hear it's really delicious and have been dying to try it :) .

The sand pits in G'ville, are those the ones east of hwy88, sort of south of Kimmerling Rd.?

You know, i was just browsing through some satellite images of the area, and there are definately some paths that lead up to VC. It looks like an offshoot north of the motorcycle area leads you in the right direction. Unfortunately it's hard to tell what the exact terrain is, even when zoomed in. The fact that i couldn't see any granite near jumbo should say enough.

As for the pizza place, good to go pizza and deli, i know they have a selection of tasty beer but haven't yet tried their food. Nice people either way and it's always good to have a good bev spot locally.

From my understanding the sand pits are off of pine nut road, but i do know the OHV area you are talking about. I was there on superbowl sunday fording through some muck and getting stuck. Fun place.

A few of us (Subieman, Jibs, TheSubaruJunkie and I) were knocking around Jumbo just last year (maybe it was '06:rolleyes:). I knew there was a path to Virginia City (I have USFS maps), but when we got just a short way above that motorcycle play area, we hit Sierra Cement..couldn't go up any higher..so, we tooled around the general area, had a good time..I believe there are pix and vids.

Next time there, I'd like to hit that little pizza joint in downtown New Washoe City. I hear it's really delicious and have been dying to try it :) .

The sand pits in G'ville, are those the ones east of hwy88, sort of south of Kimmerling Rd.?

So you were right about the sand pits being the area south of the Ranchos, but the pine nut mountains were awesome nevertheless.

:banana:

Checked out jumbo on my way out, only cause it's 5 min. away, and it was pretty gnarly. Lots of big boulders strewn about and the melting snow is causing some erosion.

Late afternoon tooled around some trails in the Ruhenstroth area , and here are some pics of my funky roo:

DSC01388.jpg

DSC01397.jpg

DSC01394.jpg

DSC01389.jpg

Sweet place to romp around, i can't wait until i'm lifted with a/t's.

NV, do you have any pics of your rig?

You guys are making me wanna buy another old school subaru!! ARGH.

Here's a pic of Zeno & I up in the hills there. Not sure exactly where.

DSC00824.jpg

My car is (was) the red hatch.

Here is a shot of Jibs & I up in the same area:

DSC00596.sized.jpg

My car is (was) the lifted wagon, he's got the brat.

Definatly some awesome wheelin all around those parts for a lifted subaru and a stock subaru. Here is the video I put together from one of our last runs. This features Subaruman, Jibs, NV Zeno & I.

Now I wheel a Toyota...

Thanks Brian, those were good times..I sure do love wheeling in the trees around Dog Valley.

Greenley, I know what you mean about the rocks around Jumbo (and Pine Nut for that matter), I'm always concerned about one of the jagged ones shredding a tire.

The other guys kind of imply that I may be kind of a sissy (and understanably so:lol: ), but during the summer I kind of prefer to wheel in the shady and cooler areas like around Tahoe or Dog Valley.

I'll keep an eye out for your rig. I'm pretty much regular around Tahoe (South Shore & Incline) and Carson City, and usually park on the Slide side lot at Mt. Rose Ski resort when I'm there.

I'm pretty much regular around Tahoe (South Shore & Incline) and Carson City

NV Zeno, yours is the light blue wagon with the barrecrafters ski racks right?

I'm sure i saw you in carson city a while back, in fact i even honked with a thumbs up in approval:cool: I'm with you on dodging the heat, i'm a 50 degree weather type of guy

Thesubarujunkie, that hatch is clean. It must have been a tough one to get rid of.

OUCH:banghead:

I was browsing around and came across a wagon under your name, with the brush guard and safari rack. Now thats what i am aiming for. I especially like the way you trimmed the fenders, how you went away with the side markers entirely.

Wish I woulda sold it. I ended up parting it out and sending the shell to the junkyard. Got $30 for the carcass :( It was mint too.

Welcome aboard, glad you could join us. Its nice to have a few new faces around. we should all get together soon and make a run somewhere. i gotta get my brat to the shop to have the 5 speed swapped in, should do that at the end of the month when I get my tax return, then I'll be back into a lifted Brat again!:) Here's a pic of my old rig:

3967PICT1087_Small_.JPG

My new rig is going to look the same, its just white.:grin:

Welcome aboard, glad you could join us. Its nice to have a few new faces around. we should all get together soon and make a run somewhere. i gotta get my brat to the shop to have the 5 speed swapped in, should do that at the end of the month when I get my tax return, then I'll be back into a lifted Brat again!:) Here's a pic of my old rig:

3967PICT1087_Small_.JPG

My new rig is going to look the same, its just white.:grin:

Nice Brat blue or white! I'm afraid i couldn't go anywhere that monster rig could go although i'd love to go on a run.

Where and how much are you getting a 5 spd swap done for?

I have the Transmission and all the needed accessories for it (Conversion kit from Bratsrus1) the driveline and the clutch, and i'm getting it done at my buddy's place called Asian Specialized. I swapped the 5 speed in the first time with help from subieman and thesubarujunkie and it wasn't fun.:mad: So now i'm thinkin its easier to have it done at a shop.