Ultimate Subaru Message Board

all the questions you can answer

i hate to overwhelm the forum with all the questions i have on my subaru(we call him Moe) so i'll just chip away 1 at a time and hope i don't get tiresome. when i recently installed new timing belts tensioners etc on Moe(and thanks for helping smooth that job out) the covers were busted beyond reusing so just going without them for now. my question, what is the best way to keep them exposed parts clean? carb cleaner, brake cleaner or what. its still remarkably clean but that wont last. i dont wanna use anything that will hurt the belts or anything else so figured i'd see what worked for others in this position.thanks

if they're getting dirty you need covers. don't get anything on the belts, it reduces their life span. spraying/coating/cleaning is probably a bad thing for the belts. if you get new covers, just attach them with zip ties through the bolt holes that way you don't have to worry about those stupid bolts seizing, rusting, and turning in place the next time you go to remove them.

i run without covers and haven't had any problems with mine getting dirty for years.

if they're getting dirty you need covers. don't get anything on the belts, it reduces their life span. spraying/coating/cleaning is probably a bad thing for the belts. if you get new covers, just attach them with zip ties through the bolt holes that way you don't have to worry about those stupid bolts seizing, rusting, and turning in place the next time you go to remove them.

i run without covers and haven't had any problems with mine getting dirty for years.

ok how do your belts not get dirty if there in the front of the engine and t here exposed. Seems to me that iff they were uncovered and just driveing in the rain would kickup water and road grime up into them. But then again im a noob and i dont quite know where they are.

Ben

ok how do your belts not get dirty
i don't know, i mean there's some but it's minor..gets flung off (thanks nip!), etc. definitely nothing worth ruining your timing belts over by trying to clean them with a solvent.

this is really simple and i already said it, if it is getting dirty, install covers!

my wife's impreza OBS has nice, clean, black timing belt covers.