Ultimate Subaru Message Board

knock sensor compatibility??

i think subarupartsforyou dot com has a good parts look up function that shows part numbers. you can also call a subaru dealer and ask for part numbers from a 96 and a 90...or whatever years interest you.

when buying used, try to find one that doesn't have beginnings of a crack on the base, that's how they fail. used ones aren't often in great shape.

thanks gary - have already decided to go new with this item and save some headaches later. besides, might be needing 2 of the darn things...1 for my car, 1 for the other half's...

well, may have found my answer - according to "subarupartsforyou" all 90 to 96 models use the same sensor...whoo hoo.

• 2 weeks later...

subarupartsforyou is showing different part numbers for these vehicles.

I need to get a new knock sensor for my 90 Legacy.

1990 Legacy part number: 22060AA031
found some on feebay, but they are listed for 95/96
22060AA061 is the 1996/1997 EJ25 and EJ22 part number

1990-1995 shows the older part number (...031)

and 1996+ (EJ22 & EJ25) has the newer part number (...061)

they are very simple in nature and usage so i wouldn't be too surprised if they're interchangeable.

I replaced the knock sensor on my 98 last summer. It looked exactly like the one pictured in this thread. It is not difficult to install, just kind of awkward. On a 2.5 motor, using a 3/8" drive, use a wobbler, as you can't get a straight down alignment on the bolt head. Something is in the way that prevents the straight shot.

On replacement, just snug up the bolt. Don't really tighten the bolt down, as the pressure will crack the plastic circular collar. I bought mine at Autozone, as the dealer is some distance away. The AZ unit works just fine, no more CEL.

does anyone remember Hobby Gary's

hesitation fix with the rubber washer under

the KS.

who is "Hobby Gary's"?

i did something similar to the old gen's where the sensor itself threads into the block. on an XT6 (same set up as EA82) i wrapped the threads of a knock sensor with plumbing tape.

which brings up the interesting point that EJ knock sensors seem less reliable then older gen stuff.

just an update - got 2 new knock sensors - part #22060AA031 - one for my car, one for the other half's (same year)

havent installed yet - been making emergency repairs on our skidsteer used for snow removal...too darn much snow this year!!

did do a temporary fix to the old sensor using some super blue gasket maker - filled the cracks, let it cure up good (24 hrs in the house) and reintstalled in the car - CEL went out, car has been running fine, but will be replacing it very soon.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions guys! USMB is THE place to be!

it seems I need to get a new knock sensor for my 90 Legacy.

just wondering what year(s) are compatible?

found some on feebay, but they are listed for 95/96 - pic looks like it is identical to mine, but will it work?

It will bolt up, you'll just need to get the pigtail from the junkyard (the newer ones have a connector right on the sensor itself) to connect to your existing wiring.